How much honey, candles etc to take to a village fair

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I’ve been invited to have a stall at a village fair in a weeks time. I haven’t done very many so I’m struggling to know how much to take. According to the organisers, on a good day, about 800 folk can visit. I already sell my honey through the village shop there, which is why I’ve been invited.
Any suggestions on quantities would be appreciated. Thanks

Can’t help with the amount but what do you charge for your honey at the fair. Would it be the same as the village shop retails it for?

I’ve been invited to have a stall at a village fair in a weeks time. I haven’t done very many so I’m struggling to know how much to take. According to the organisers, on a good day, about 800 folk can visit. I already sell my honey through the village shop there, which is why I’ve been invited.
Any suggestions on quantities would be appreciated. Thanks
I do the same twice a year and always sell quite a bit of honey. (30-40 jars in a 3 hr period) Unfortunately most of those sales are to my normal customers so sales from my house shelves suffer for a couple of weeks 🙂 but it’s worth it as its a great opportunity to chat to my customers.

Can’t help with the amount but what do you charge for your honey at the fair. Would it be the same as the village shop retails it for?
That’s another worry. Currently I sell to the shop in small batches. They then add a mark up. It’s more than I charge from my front door. Do I go halfway between my price and their’s, or do I match it. There is a £1 difference.
The last time I did a stall, I sold about 100 jars of honey. I have no idea of footfall though.

I tended to sell different size jars at fairs, that way there is no direct comparison between the jars at the fete and the shop/gate!!. Now I don't do fetes, I would rather try and keep selling at the gate for as long as possible

I tended to sell different size jars at fairs, that way there is no direct comparison between the jars at the fete and the shop/gate!!. Now I don't do fetes, I would rather try and keep selling at the gate for as long as possible
That’s a good idea. It does put costs up though, as I bulk brought my current batch of jars. Fortunately, I’m not short of honey as the family keeps reminding me. I’ve buckets stashed away in lots of different cupboards!

know how much
Take stock to sell and stock to display: nothing more dispiriting to see a stall with nine jars on it near the end of an event.

Last week I did an Open Day at Copped Hall near Epping, which attracts Mr & Mrs Upmarket-Essex; in 5 hours took £500. Sold only 13@340 but 36@235 and 21@135; souvenir sizes appeal at these events.

Prices were £10.50, £7.50 and £4 (up 50p/jar for the day on two bigger jars). 10% goes to the event kitty towards the mansion restoration.

go halfway between my price and their’s, or do I match it.
Take into account event commission; consider whether the shop might get the hump if you undercut significantly.

Take stock to sell and stock to display: nothing more dispiriting to see a stall with nine jars on it near the end of an event.

Last week I did an Open Day at Copped Hall near Epping, which attracts Mr & Mrs Upmarket-Essex; in 5 hours took £500. Sold only 13@340 but 36@235 and 21@135; souvenir sizes appeal at these events.

Prices were £10.50, £7.50 and £4 (up 50p/jar for the day on two bigger jars). 10% goes to the event kitty towards the mansion restoration.

Take into account event commission; consider whether the shop might get the hump if you undercut significantly.
Thank you so much. That’s really useful.

I agree, I sell to my local shop with a different size jar and different label so the punters don’t compare.

know how much to take
Sold only 13@340 but 36@235 and 21@135; souvenir sizes appeal at these events.
Proper answer: I took 42@340, 72@235 and 50@135. Odd numbers because I use RUB 9-litre boxes which each hold 14@340, 18@235 and 25@135.

Looks like I sold about 50% of the smaller sizes, but likely that half of the remainder was on display.

Latest posts

Back