How many hives per area

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Initially, made the same mistake - that's a lot of bees!

I think he means that there are 109 colonies within a 10k radius of one apiary, 114 within another and so on.

No that's the number of bee's....:sifone:

:dupe:

Yes the missing word (respectively) !!!

109 for one apiary
114 for another
120 for the last

As all 3 apiaries are withing 10Km of each other then my 13 colonies count in each!

Or maybe beebase ARE really couting individual bees!! :smash:

:dupe:

Yes the missing word (respectively) !!!

109 for one apiary
114 for another
120 for the last

As all 3 apiaries are withing 10Km of each other then my 13 colonies count in each!

Unless I have misunderstood, the beebase figure in number of apiaries within 10km, not colonies. It does not give any idea as to how many colonies there are.

Come on, boys and girls! Read the post! He said "per 10 square kilometres." Neither '10km radius' nor 'a 10 km square', nor 'within 10km distance'

I have severe doubts about the fact, anyway. Most people put two hives together and have no problem! Some places may not support a colony with that much forage area, but remember those bees would easily fly out of that area for forage.

10 square kilometers is represented by a circle of 1.8km radius.

Last edited:
Ok thanks .
As the bee flys ,so to speak.It does cross another Apiary.So that might be the way to go PH.

Is the other apiary yours? Not an issue I've faced but might be an idea to find out what the beekeeper's plans are (and you have no idea of his disease status). Drones as I'm sure you know drift. Also potential robbing issues?

Unless I have misunderstood, the beebase figure in number of apiaries within 10km, not colonies. It does not give any idea as to how many colonies there are.

bah, I should learn to read!

"No. of other apiaries within a 10KM radius:"

Yes apiaries not colonies, wow!
But a 10km radius.

Although I know that for a year or more I did not update my old entries, so the figures have to be taken with a pinch of salt!

Thanks for the Link Beejoyful.I think you may of won that Award :D

Looking in my Ted Hooper book ,he says about 4 hives per acre.Not that theres any of it
on this site lol.

Looking in my Ted Hooper book ,he says about 4 hives per acre.
Time for some rough arithmetic. 10 Km radius is 300 square kilometers, ( pi r squared). 250 acres to the square kilometre, so 75,000 acres. 300,000 hives could be sited there according to Hooper. With one hundred apiaries, that is one per 3 square Km or 750 acres. You could average 3000 hives per apiary. Since we're probably talking under 10 per average real apiary you're fine.

Is that really what Hooper says? I cannot find the passage. On p80 (fifth edition, 2010) he says an additional apiary would be needed when 10 to 15 colonies exhaust available forage. He also suggests not starting a new apiary within 3 miles of another keepers apiary on page 85 but that is mentioned in connection with maintaining good relations with other keepers. We are assuming ideal conditions and we're guessing at an even spread and the whole area is good foraging. 4 per acre does seem a high number. But if his estimate is accurate you could have many times the 100 apiaries FERA know about within 10 Km before you need to worry.

Last edited:
No got it wrong..... its 2 - 3per acre (page 228,guide to bees and honey fourth edition)

We've actually got an out-apiary close to woodland, but it isn't totally dependent on native species that tend to flower in spring or early summer, leaving "the gap". They're close enough to houses to also be able to benefit from garden plants and veg crops before the heather should start flowering.

We used a rather contorted route to choose it. First we found a Google Maps application that draws a circle http://obeattie.github.com/gmaps-radius/ used it to check a few sites we thought we might be able to use, and then chose the one that gave the bees access to the greatest variety of forage without having to travel too far, and so use too much of the nectar they collect as fuel. (I hope that makes sense) Of course it probably won't work out that way, but it was an interesting exercise.

Thanks for the Link Beejoyful.I think you may of won that Award :D
I think I did. It's a pity that some original, and follow-up, questions get quickly buried amongst sidetracks and diversions.

No got it wrong..... its 2 - 3per acre (page 228,guide to bees and honey fourth edition)
Ah, colony density is quoted as stocking levels for some field crops. 2-3 per acre on OSR (p228 in the fifth edition too). That's for a seasonal crop, not a permanent home.

The basics stand that 100 apiaries within a 10 Km radius is 3 square Km or 750 acres each. More than 75 acres per hive if the average is under 10 per apiary. Given the BBKA estimates of around 2 hives per member the average is going to be low anywhere near population centres. Given mixed forage sources across most of the UK, it's not overcrowded.

Bailey advised maximum of one colony per 10 square kilometres.

Old *opinion*, and was nonsense then and nonsense now.
At that exact density it allows only 24159 colonies for the whole of the UK.

Back then it may have been 15 times that, and even today, according to whose figures you read, it is between 7 and 11 times that. There remain large tracts of the country underpopulated by bees.

I think this is where the rule of thumb of 7 or 8 hives per site comes from.
Bees fly a 3 mile radius (4.8 km) so that is an area of 72 sq kilometres.
So 7 hives per site.

As I said, it was a reference in Yates which has many inaccuracies.

I used to put 30+ on on a site and it worked fine.

7...lol

PH

There's an interesting article by Prof Ratnieks about foraging distances, it's worth reading all of it http://lasi.group.shef.ac.uk/pdf/rbeeimpr2000.pdf but here's an extract
In mid-August, half of the bees danced for locations of more than 6.1km and 10% for more than 9.5km. The average distance was 5.5km. In May, when there are plenty of flowers in Sheffield, the average distance was only 1km.​
My calculator tells me that
6.1km = 3.79 miles
9.5km = 5.9 miles
5.5km = 3.42 miles

There is an association apiary with up to 30 hives. Several who operate there say they get lower yields on that large site than they do at home or from smaller apiaries a couple of miles away. Very few of the hives are moved to OSR or other seasonal forage, most work the same suburban/mixed area all year and there are no significant field crops. With only the satellite images from Google/Bing to go on, there is nothing to suggest other than a fairly uniform spread of forage across the area they cover.

There are references in several of the books to foraging efficiently, that is the further bees fly the more food gets burnt travelling and less gets back to the hive. That seems a reasonable explanation of what's going on. As a simple model, the maximum honey yield would be from the shortest distance. If we assumed stocking should be maximised, then spacing the hives uniformly across the area would be the ideal case. Logistically, you don't have access to that many sites and it would be a pain to operate if they are not grouped for the keepers benefit.

Site sizes are always going to be a compromise between effort for the bees and effort for the keeper. Something like 70 years of empiricism around here has led to most shared apiary sites being around 8 to 10 hives with the garden having one or two hives. The observed effects may be self fulfilling in that the keeper places the 'best' bee stocks where they expect the best yield, that is in the smaller apiaries. That is their strategy and to them, the yields appear to confirm the value of the strategy. From a neutral observers point of view, however, there is no way of telling what proportions are due to the site size and what is due to the choice of bees placed there.

I think we also need to make a distinction between the hobbyist and commercial.
The typical hobbyist leaves her/his hive in situ all year round.

The commercial probably moves 4 or 5 times during the season to maximise yield.
Therefore 30/40 hive drops will work whilst there is forage.

Hopefully some of the commercial guys will confirm/deny.

I have a rule of thumb for mine.

If I get 4 supers off each hive then I have forage for another hive. Three supers then I'm on the money. This year is the biggest test yet for this rule.

Baggy

Drove past a commercial apiary in Lincolnshire that was stuck in the middle of an empty field - thought I counted 60 or 70 hives. Used to spotting 20 or so together but had never seen so many in such a small area. Assume they were being over wintered together.

Latest posts

Back