how many are not resisting checking hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not suggesting you shouldn't.....just so jealous!

I had the local high street cordoned off on the 13th April last year..swarm on a fence...this year i would be lucky to see a bumble bee let alone a honeybee

I had 14 degrees today and expect at least that tomorrow. I'm pretty certain I'm going to do 1st inspections tomorrow. Saw my first bumble bee of the year today bee-smillie

I had the local high street cordoned off on the 13th April last year..swarm on a fence...this year i would be lucky to see a bumble bee let alone a honeybee

There was a swarm in the middle of Norwich last year and everybody just carried on as normal. Somebody came and collected them without any trouble. They were right outside a shop on a signpost.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't.....just so jealous!

Ha! Don't be jealous it's blowin' a hoolie here and lashing with rain.I did earlier say we needed a little so it's all my fault.
Forecast is for similar all week. It'll be the June gap before I get into my own hives!

I had 14 degrees today and expect at least that tomorrow. I'm pretty certain I'm going to do 1st inspections tomorrow. Saw my first bumble bee of the year today bee-smillie

Was that 14° in the direct sun or shade?
Bumbles are much more hardier than HB's and can easily cope with lower temp, some of have been out for awhile now.

If you're intent on doing a full inspection, take a second and check what your wearing under your suit to keep you warm, anything more than say a t-shirt then it's possibly too cold, and bear in mind that every time you open that crown board you set the colony back, flying bees are not necessarily the green light to dive into your hives, you won't be doing your bees any favours?
At some point soon there'll be a tread " Dead broad, why?"

I'd still check front of house activity (pollen, etc) and fondant, but be a little patient yet for full open hive inspections!

Russell

I shall be checking mine later today; 23degrees forecast :)

There was a swarm in the middle of Norwich last year and everybody just carried on as normal. Somebody came and collected them without any trouble. They were right outside a shop on a signpost.

My friend Dave was called out to a swarm on a lamp post in Regents Street Central London,...blue tape, shops closed, two fire engines, two police cars and four community police support officers directing public away....several hundreds of pounds in wages.....My friend got a round of applause as he housed it in a skep and took the swarm away

It's still in our isolation apiary, though i suspect we will easily sell it this year with all the loses

I wonder if it is a reproduction swarm (a usual one) or a starvation swarm.

I would be interested to know if there is a way of telling the difference when you collect them.

It rained yesterday afternoon but the bees were out in the morning first thing though even though it hadn't warmed up. Today its quite blowy and overcast. :(

There are more bees in towns than a lot of people suspect...
I know the High st of Egham is a flight line for at least one honey bee colony at around 4m above the street

I wonder if it is a reproduction swarm (a usual one) or a starvation swarm.

I would be interested to know if there is a way of telling the difference when you collect them.

Hi Polyanwood,
The difference is, I have been told, that they are queenless!

Hi Chorlton Honey,
I am not opening up today although it is going to be warm enough, because I want the bees to have a good pollen collecting day without beek disruption. They are not disappointing a lot of large pollen baskets going in - I expect it is Willow. I guess that is breaking the rules too?

It is expected to get up to 20 here today so once temp gets to high teens I will be checking all hives. If it does not reach the temps expected i will leave it.

Hi Chorlton Honey,
I am not opening up today although it is going to be warm enough, because I want the bees to have a good pollen collecting day without beek disruption. They are not disappointing a lot of large pollen baskets going in - I expect it is Willow. I guess that is breaking the rules too?

I am sure I have read, maybe in Hooper, that opening up a hive sets it back a week...

Not sure that is true. Do they go on strike and get there newspapers out, put their feet up with a cuppa and stop bringing in pollen? Mine carry on bringing in pollen and getting on with stuff during an inspection let alone after

Not inspected my hives yet but have gave them syrup and they are bringing in pollen.

Was that 14° in the direct sun or shade?
Bumbles are much more hardier than HB's and can easily cope with lower temp, some of have been out for awhile now.

If you're intent on doing a full inspection, take a second and check what your wearing under your suit to keep you warm, anything more than say a t-shirt then it's possibly too cold, and bear in mind that every time you open that crown board you set the colony back, flying bees are not necessarily the green light to dive into your hives, you won't be doing your bees any favours?
At some point soon there'll be a tread " Dead broad, why?"

I'd still check front of house activity (pollen, etc) and fondant, but be a little patient yet for full open hive inspections!

Russell

Thanks Russel. I ended up aborting the mission due to a howling gale!

I am sure I have read, maybe in Hooper, that opening up a hive sets it back a week...

I've read it somewhere, and been told the same. A 'full' inspection (taking out every single frame and looking at it) rips apart their home, and breaks all their propolis seals, so they spend time putting it back the way they want it.

Latest posts

Back