Ling Heather How many hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yegh I've just been up and the temperature difference is surprisingly colder at dusk and night up there. I just said to my friend we won't lose anything in insulating them with the kingspan we usually put on later on. All my hives have insulated roofs all year but it can't hurt to give them the extra few degrees at night
I keep kingspan on home hives, above the crown board, all year round. I was listening to an interesting feature on '2bees in a podcast' about the importance of insulating in summer as well as winter, by Derek Mitchell, think he's a member of the forum.
It's 2 degrees cooler here at 1000ft compared to where my other bees are kept 3 miles down in the valley. But the best heather comes from moors, that are well drained, at 1000-1200ft altitude, Black bees are best up on the moor, I've found (those with any italian in their genetics tend to get up later & stay in more due to the weather not suiting them up here) black / locally adapted bees fly in cooler conditions and mine fly in the rain, tho as soon as the sun comes out they're out of their WBCs in a flash & go bonkers. I'm praying for sunshine 3rd week in Aug!

Also a stand on my site and it looks like it gets sheep on it later in the season. I'm hoping it keeps raining for a week then dries up. Its rained the last three days on and off but high pressure seems to be creeping in. I think Tuesday it will start to get better. I live in the Midlands Peak District area. I sell my wildflower honey at £5 per 280ml jar so if I get any ill sell the heather honey at £8 per 280ml. I make sure it gets labelled nicely and don't sell it in a big jar. It gets presented as a premium product with a premium price and my customers are happy to pay it
I'm selling far too cheaply, will reassess sizes for heather I think. Sells out too quickly!

Our 8oz at work wholesale 8-10 pounds.
Spring /summer honey not local prices though.
Im also thinking down the 8oz jars line at home, but I do like the 12oz hex jars which sell wholesale £7.. We increased our price by 50p this season.

I don't do heather specifically, but I am selling 227g jars this year only, and at £5 locally.
I don't even try to compete with supermarket prices because you can't possibly sell a jar of honey for £1.50 and make a proffit. It's not honey it's garbage with quarter a jar of honey. China alone sells more honey than all the world's hives combined can possibly produce. I see all the garbage in the supermarket priced at stupid prices that never sets and not creamed either. It's a blend. 😂 Most people have never had a jar of real honey and it's a scam that shouldn't be allowed

Last edited:
I don't even try to compete with supermarket prices because you can't possibly sell a jar of honey for £1.50 and make a proffit.
I certainly couldn't - unless I buy jars in multiple grosses they cost virtually a pound a jar after transport/delivery costs.

Back to front there, the lower the density the better the insulation.
Not sure about that ...

EPS (Epanded polysytrene) - Density 11 kg/m³
PUR/PIR Insulation board - Density: 33 kg/m³ - 45/kg/m³

I think the lower value you refer to is the thermal coefficient or thermal conductivity - where I would agree the lower the value the more insulating property it has.

I don't even try to compete with supermarket prices because you can't possibly sell a jar of honey for £1.50 and make a proffit. It's not honey it's garbage with quarter a jar of honey. China alone sells more honey than all the world's hives combined can possibly produce. I see all the garbage in the supermarket priced at stupid prices that never sets and not creamed either. It's a blend. 😂 Most people have never had a jar of real honey and it's a scam that shouldn't be allowed
Off topic but I saw this in Tesco yesterday !!!
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-...apshotimagehandler_327873362.jpeg?h=540&w=540

Impressive bees !
Yes they are good but it's the only hive I haven't split this year the rest nearly have a super full. It's on 3 broods 2 full of capped brood and a lot emerging now. I'll unite a box with a weak hive when the heathers done. Queens showing no signs of slowing down I could give her a full brood to lay in and she would lay the lot

Only problem is if I give her another brood it could slow them down a bit because the workers will try to stash honey in them. She layed right up to the side walls too

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back