Ling Heather How many hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worker bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all I've just secured a site on the outskirts of the heather and was wondering how many hives to start with. It's my first time trying out a heather site so looking for a few pointers. The land is within 100 yards of a nice patch that leads up onto the moors. It's patchy but heather is as far as the eye can see. I've put five hives up there so far so should I stick with that or just go for it and take up some more? It's just budding so got the site just in time

Simple answer take your strongest or what you have time to shift. If it’s crap you’ll moan about the effort, if the others pile it in you’ll be kicking yourself. Well that’s generally how it works😂

Well that's up
Hi all I've just secured a site on the outskirts of the heather and was wondering how many hives to start with. It's my first time trying out a heather site so looking for a few pointers. The land is within 100 yards of a nice patch that leads up onto the moors. It's patchy but heather is as far as the eye can see. I've put five hives up there so far so should I stick with that or just go for it and take up some more? It's just budding so got the site just in time
Well that's up to you ive spent the last week and a bit moving 32 colonys to 4 sites moved the last 6 yesterday. And watched the girls working the ling after a few hours, after this low has passed we have a ridge of high pressure coming so things are looking promising.
I desided to move more this week.
I have a mixture of doubles reduced to single brood, single brood, double brood, brood/half.
Some are last years queen's and this year's.
I've left good stores in each brood box and even some uncapped honey in the supers so pertentialy it will be mixed Heather If the flows come of.
After yesterday's moving I was very pleased to see bees working the ling which is only just started to flower..
Whatever you decide the very best of luck and keep us posted.
C. G. F.
Edit : what sort of colonys have you moved to the Heather?

Well that's up

Well that's up to you ive spent the last week and a bit moving 32 colonys to 4 sites moved the last 6 yesterday. And watched the girls working the ling after a few hours, after this low has passed we have a ridge of high pressure coming so things are looking promising.
I desided to move more this week.
I have a mixture of doubles reduced to single brood, single brood, double brood, brood/half.
Some are last years queen's and this year's.
I've left good stores in each brood box and even some uncapped honey in the supers so pertentialy it will be mixed Heather If the flows come of.
After yesterday's moving I was very pleased to see bees working the ling which is only just started to flower..
Whatever you decide the very best of luck and keep us posted.
C. G. F.
Edit : what sort of colonys have you moved to the Heather?
I've moved two with two national broods both boxes almost full of emerging and capped brood that managed a full brood box of honey I just took off, one almost got two broods of honey one that I've left on so they can top it up. I'm going to move any frames with eggs to the outside and all the capped in the middle. Two on one brood but loads of emerging and capped and one 14x12 with loads of emerging and capped. All strong hives about to get a boost. I do have a few more strong hives I could take up. I don't see the point in moving any splits that are on 8 frames or less but I could boost it up to about fifteen strong hives. Some hives at other sites are going to get checkerboarded today on syrup to pull more frames if I need them in the next few weeks. I've put queen exluders on but if the nectar starts to flow I'll remove them

Last edited:
I've moved two with two national broods both boxes almost full of emerging and capped brood that managed a full brood box of honey I just took off, one almost got two broods of honey one that I've left on so they can top it up. I'm going to move any frames with eggs to the outside and all the capped in the middle. Two on one brood but loads of emerging and capped and one 14x12 with loads of emerging and capped. All strong hives about to get a boost. I do have a few more strong hives I could take up. I don't see the point in moving any splits that are on 8 frames or less but I could boost it up to about fifteen strong hives. Some hives at other sites are going to get checkerboarded today on syrup to pull more frames if I need them in the next few weeks. I've put queen exluders on but if the nectar starts to flow I'll remove them
Sounds like you have it sorted, I've run out of comb but I'm extracting in the next few days to release some more comb to use.
Good luck!!

When I went to heather moors I had as many as 60+ on a site and it made no odds.

Just taken 20 this year as nothing for last 2 years and heather isnt looking too good but is starting to flower .Knowing my luck it'll be an awesome flow as ive taken so few hives.I suppose I'll soon find out.

Just taken 20 this year as nothing for last 2 years and heather isnt looking too good but is starting to flower .Knowing my luck it'll be an awesome flow as ive taken so few hives.I suppose I'll soon find out.
The Drysgol was looking a little better today, but not much.

My home apiary bees fly direct to the moor as only 1/2 mile away in the south Pennines at 1000ft, but I am planning on siting a colony at the weekend directly in a stance 4 miles by car away (2 miles direct bee flight). Curious to see the difference between pure heather (only rosebay willow and a small patch of balsam nearby) vs heather/ more mixed forage at home.

If successful will take a few colonies next year. Pic I took tonight of the site. Met the landowner & he’s suggested a gully slightly sunken below the stance, so colony sheltered from any winds. Only 30ft away from the heather

Attachments

• 8CDA3B3E-2DFC-48A9-8E62-FCFA2D50B869.jpeg
    8CDA3B3E-2DFC-48A9-8E62-FCFA2D50B869.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 24
My home apiary bees fly direct to the moor as only 1/2 mile away in the south Pennines at 1000ft, but I am planning on siting a colony at the weekend directly in a stance 4 miles by car away (2 miles direct bee flight). Curious to see the difference between pure heather (only rosebay willow and a small patch of balsam nearby) vs heather/ more mixed forage at home.

If successful will take a few colonies next year. Pic I took tonight of the site. Met the landowner & he’s suggested a gully slightly sunken below the stance, so colony sheltered from any winds. Only 30ft away from the heather
The heather where you are looks further along than up where mine are. It looks taller too but it's hard to tell from the photo. I'm not sure if it gets burnt regular but it looks quite short but I'm no expert

The heather where you are looks further along than up where mine are. It looks taller too but it's hard to tell from the photo. I'm not sure if it gets burnt regular but it looks quite short but I'm no expert
Hi yes it is quite short, but quite dark in colour (purple) which is a good sign & on deep peat but well drained (also a good sign).
I asked the landowner if the moor was managed & it is for grouse shooting & he showed me a shooting stand. This particular site hasn't had any burning in the last year but there's an area about 1/2 mile from where I live that has had extensive burning. I must introduce myself to the gamekeeper, be good to get onside with them for the future.
Keep looking at the forecast, 3-4 good days next week (c19-20C sun) but pretty unsettled overall til 19th Aug, beginning to wonder if it's going to be worthwhile doing. The weather this Aug is poor vs last year. What do you think for your area? Also wondering what the going price is for 'pure' heather, will be for this season say 454g (1lb) direct to the public? Any thoughts?

Hi yes it is quite short, but quite dark in colour (purple) which is a good sign & on deep peat but well drained (also a good sign).
I asked the landowner if the moor was managed & it is for grouse shooting & he showed me a shooting stand. This particular site hasn't had any burning in the last year but there's an area about 1/2 mile from where I live that has had extensive burning. I must introduce myself to the gamekeeper, be good to get onside with them for the future.
Keep looking at the forecast, 3-4 good days next week (c19-20C sun) but pretty unsettled overall til 19th Aug, beginning to wonder if it's going to be worthwhile doing. The weather this Aug is poor vs last year. What do you think for your area? Also wondering what the going price is for 'pure' heather, will be for this season say 454g (1lb) direct to the public? Any thoughts?
Also a stand on my site and it looks like it gets sheep on it later in the season. I'm hoping it keeps raining for a week then dries up. Its rained the last three days on and off but high pressure seems to be creeping in. I think Tuesday it will start to get better. I live in the Midlands Peak District area. I sell my wildflower honey at £5 per 280ml jar so if I get any ill sell the heather honey at £8 per 280ml. I make sure it gets labelled nicely and don't sell it in a big jar. It gets presented as a premium product with a premium price and my customers are happy to pay it

Last edited:
It's the younger shoots that produce better amounts of nectar so I'm reading thanks to @elainemary.
I've been up to 2 sites today and the Heather there has come on leaps and bounds since Monday, very windy and watched two of the bigger colonys oriantating, plus I changed some super frames for better comb, as elainemary said the weather isn't going to be above 22 here from next Tuesday onwards.
If we get any Heather honey it will be sold around £10-12 per 12 oz jar.

It's the younger shoots that produce better amounts of nectar so I'm reading thanks to @elainemary.
I've been up to 2 sites today and the Heather there has come on leaps and bounds since Monday, very windy and watched two of the bigger colonys oriantating, plus I changed some super frames for better comb, as elainemary said the weather isn't going to be above 22 here from next Tuesday onwards.
If we get any Heather honey it will be sold around £10-12 per 12 oz jar.
Yegh I've just been up and the temperature difference is surprisingly colder at dusk and night up there. I just said to my friend we won't lose anything in insulating them with the kingspan we usually put on later on. All my hives have insulated roofs all year but it can't hurt to give them the extra few degrees at night

Yegh I've just been up and the temperature difference is surprisingly colder at dusk and night up there. I just said to my friend we won't lose anything in insulating them with the kingspan we usually put on later on. All my hives have insulated roofs all year but it can't hurt to give them the extra few degrees at night
I do this with mine, I save a s much poly as possible through out the year. IMG_20210217_114839.jpg
The insulation you get when you buy a fridge is good, you have to use gaffa for the joints but it works.

I do this with mine, I save a s much poly as possible through out the year. View attachment 27724
The insulation you get when you buy a fridge is good, you have to use gaffa for the joints but it works.
Polystyrene is better than nothing but the polystyrene you get from packing materials is very low density and it is nowhere near as good an insulator as PIR.

Polystyrene is better than nothing but the polystyrene you get from packing materials is very low density and it is nowhere near as good an insulator as PIR.
Yegh I use both kingspan and polly I get from bins where packing is thrown away. The kingspan is better. I also insulate the outside of my wooden hives with kingspan. I found the cheapest option for me now is to buy polly broods and use wooden floors, stands and roofs from wood I can get free. Pallets are good free stands or even old tires. Tires even soak up the heat on good days and warm up the hive in the morning sun. The hole in the middle acts as a funnel to direct the heat up through the hive. The outside acts as a wind break

Last edited:
Back to front there, the lower the density the better the insulation.

Latest posts

Back