how many are not resisting checking hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 + 1 Observation Hive
are beeks opening up hive to early i was in two mine do i or dont i
temp in Manchester today about 11am on my temp by my hives in the sun was 13c but i resisted or should i of gone in.
i wanted to change floors and possible the brood boxes but alas they are still

tell the truth how many are braking the code :calmdown:
and more to the facts what are you all finding good or bad

Last edited:
you can change your floors without too much disturbance to the bees, yes too early to check brood, let em get on with it, pollen coming in leave well alone, keep calm, dont panic mr mannering!!

I didn't know there was a code!

I checked mine in about 11 degrees the other day, as quickly as possible. I feel that not knowing what their condition is can be damaging in itself. As I can't read everything I want to from the outside, I will open up in sub-optimal conditions if I have to.

OK, I'm ready for it....

are beeks opening up hive to early

No idea, but i killed three drone laying queens ten days ago and gave them new queens, which were laying well when i checked them yesterday.

Bees are still out collecting pollen now, it is dull and drizzly, but warm with a nice southerly wind.

My hives have been flying on good days and collecting pollen but we've not opened yet.
There's fondant over the top and if we inspected what would be the point.
If there's brood great if not what can you do?
We'll leave well alone for another week or two and hope for a decent dry warm spell.
Tim

I didn't know there was a code!

I checked mine in about 11 degrees the other day, as quickly as possible. I feel that not knowing what their condition is can be damaging in itself. As I can't read everything I want to from the outside, I will open up in sub-optimal conditions if I have to.

OK, I'm ready for it....

:iagree: A regional bee inspector said at a talk I went to that brood is tougher than people think, and if you have to open up then it wont do as much harm as people think. We are over a month later down here than previous years, last year this week I had to do my first split of the year due to a capped queen cell. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do the inspection.

I did all my hives last week and they were less aggressive than they were all of last year. Our BKA also did inspections last weekend as well to see how they were building up and that was when temps were below 10c.

No idea, but i killed three drone laying queens ten days ago and gave them new queens, which were laying well when i checked them yesterday.

Bees are still out collecting pollen now, it is dull and drizzly, but warm with a nice southerly wind.

Hi Hivemaker,
Where did the new queens come from this time of the year?

I inspected mine today and I don't consider it too early for my situation and conditions. Broaden your mind

Last edited:
Wouldn't dream of it yet with our weather but have lifted the whole bb onto another clean floor.

Last of snow melted in garden last week. Too cold and windy to inspect.

The warmth on the top bars - beneath the carpet underlay on top of them - says brood.

The Girls have been flying on good days and collecting pollen but i have not opened yet. and I have changed the floor the old one needed to be repaired and i have put syrup on last week .

I've visited them, they seem happy carrying stuff in and out. I'm going to pop them open next weekend.

Weather still not good enough.
No point in looking unless you suspect there is a problem you can do something about.

Looking to put a couple of bait hives out though :)

We tried, but the first one told where to go in no uncertain terms. So we didn't even get to lift a single frame. Waiting for the north side of 18C now

Latest posts

Back