How long can full supers be stored?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboy55

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Like many members this has been a good honey year. This is coupled with a shortage of honey jars. So I am considering storing my supers and extracting through the winter as demand requires. So my question is will the honey still spin ok in a few months time. The honey is general country flowers, no heather or OSR.

Like many members this has been a good honey year. This is coupled with a shortage of honey jars. So I am considering storing my supers and extracting through the winter as demand requires. So my question is will the honey still spin ok in a few months time. The honey is general country flowers, no heather or OSR.
Why would you do this ? Spin it all out and store it in tubs and jar/use it as you need it. Honey can crystallise and if it crystallises in the comb you really do have a problem . Even if it does not crystallise if it is chilled it will not extract as easily as when its just come off the hive.

Why would you do this ? Spin it all out and store it in tubs and jar/use it as you need it. Honey can crystallise and if it crystallises in the comb you really do have a problem . Even if it does not crystallise if it is chilled it will not extract as easily as when its just come off the hive.
I would have thought that it will crystallise in the buckets and it will then be difficult to jar it when they become available. My thinking is that some the honey I take in Autumn is already several months old spring honey and that spins ok. So what is the difference in storing the honey in the frames for several months until needed. I could understand if it was from a known easy to granulate plant but a lot of mine is from Himalayan Balsam and bramble.

Imagine what it will be like if it turns out that you have some wax moth larvae munching through the frames in a couple of months? Or if some other pest finds it?

Capped honey in supers is at a much warmer temperature than you'd probably end up storing your supers at (remember there's a brood nest kept at about 37°C underneath it). As the temperature is lowered (up to a point) honey crystallises more easily, so whilst it may stay liquid for a few months on the hive it might not last anywhere near that long shut up in a shed over winter, say.

Buckets are cheap. I'd extract it all now, get the messy job done in one hit and get it into buckets after putting what you need immediately into jars. Build a honey warming cabinet before you need to put the next lot in jars. Even if you can't do the woodwork you can probably build a temperature-controlled honey warmer from an old chest freezer or a fridge from the likes of Freecycle with no more skill than it takes to wire a plug (though I'm guessing there's a lot of people who have no idea how to do that these days) for much cheapness (compared with almost any other piece of beekeeping kit you could buy). And you'll be so pleased you did when it comes to using it.

James

I would have thought that it will crystallise in the buckets and it will then be difficult to jar it when they become available.
If it crystallises in the buckets (and most do) then it will crystallise in the comb. Up to you. Try it. It's easy to melt honey in a bucket; impossible in a comb.

I have more honey than buckets.
At a couple of quid each you can never have enough honey buckets .. I like 30lb square ones as they are more convenient to stack on the shelves I have - you waste a lot of space using round buckets. As soon as you get a few hives and a good year more honey than you thought is a nice problem to have ... if it's too much for your own use or your customer base then 30lb tubs of honey are easy to sell to those beekeepers who need more to supply their customers so buy more tubs and put an advert for your surplus on here.

However, the better idea is to spin it all out, store it in tubs and buy one of these when you need to warm the tubs to jar up the honey.

https://www.delish.com/uk/kitchen-accessories/cookware/a32329086/lidl-jam-and-chutney-maker/
Useless for jam making but they take a 30lb bucket perfectly and will return a completely set tub to runny honey without overheating it in a matter of hours.

Attachments

• Jam maker 3.jpg
    Jam maker 3.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Jam maker 2.jpg
    Jam maker 2.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 0
Why don’t you spin in one go and bucket the honey
:iagree: no brainer really, if the honey starts crystalising in the comb you're a bit boogered, if it's in a bucket you can slap it in a warming cabinet

I always run mine from extractor into buckets. It sits there until needed for jarring. Can easily be warmed. Also gives me a good idea of nature of the honey. If it starts to crystallise in buckets it is processed into soft set if it remains runny then just warmed and jarred. I get my buckets from local Baker ( ex jam or cream buckets) for 30p

At a couple of quid each you can never have enough honey buckets .. I like 30lb square ones as they are more convenient to stack on the shelves I have - you waste a lot of space using round buckets. As soon as you get a few hives and a good year more honey than you thought is a nice problem to have ... if it's too much for your own use or your customer base then 30lb tubs of honey are easy to sell to those beekeepers who need more to supply their customers so buy more tubs and put an advert for your surplus on here.

However, the better idea is to spin it all out, store it in tubs and buy one of these when you need to warm the tubs to jar up the honey.

https://www.delish.com/uk/kitchen-accessories/cookware/a32329086/lidl-jam-and-chutney-maker/
Useless for jam making but they take a 30lb bucket perfectly and will return a completely set tub to runny honey without overheating it in a matter of hours.
Thanks to everyone for their opinion, really useful. I have ordered 10 buckets today. It would have been a shame after all the work not to be able to extract it.

£25 !!!!!!
I found two on amazon for £10 delivered, I mash our cut comb offcuts in them and leave to drip into a bucket, that's my bit for my chai tea.

Latest posts

Back