How has your association raised money?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Riviera Kid

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's a vulgar subject money but... our association needs to raise a fair old pile of it to replace ailing "temporary" buildings that are well past their sell-by date.

I'm interested to hear about how have other associations raised cash.

Most of the ideas that have been looked at so far simply aren't going to raise the money in time... We're not going to make £1000s from BBQs and selling mugs.

Any ideas regarding grants and other sources of money would be greatly appreciated!

You could try the lottery grants but it wont be quick lots of paperwork, you also need a good business plan that includes the public, underprivileged disables or schools, your new buildings you need could be for education or demonstrations
Just a thought

The Co-Op have been one very generous source of donations. (Plan Bee)

I recall that at least one Association (edit: Romsey, Hants) got onto the Waitrose community organisations list - where shoppers 'vote' the proportion of £1,000 each month between 3 (different each month) good causes (not afaik limited to charities).

Added: Sainsbury's have (or had) a similar 'local charity' scheme.
And some Associations get Local Authority sponsorship for running their Swarm Line.

Last edited:
Grants and lots of different ones plus approaching businesses and offering them corporate membership they pay a large fee.

I dont deal with the finances of the association, but they got grants from a few different places. Fords was one they had money off, laptop from Sony and so on, if you dont ask you dont get.

It Seems bees are high profile at the moment and getting good press and there are always companies like ****** willing to jump on the bandwagon, as veg said if you don't ask you don't get

topless/nude calendar? just got time to get one photographed and printed up before the big sales season.

i can just see the cover picture - finman in all his natural glory, standing outside his sauna, brandishing a kilo bag of sugar and a measuring jug with 500ml water in it, with only his old washing machine mixer to protect his modesty.

or perhaps finman could donate pictures for every month? 12 assorted arty deposits by the village dogs.

The Waitrose green token customer voting excercise (not sure what it is called) has worked well for our local group. Great success last year and back again earlier this year with a small table outside talking to customers and showing the obs hive that this excercise paid for last year.

Excellent for Waitrose customers (lots of interest) and great for general awareness surrounding bees.

We in Bedfordshire run our own trading scheme, we sell foundation, jars, frames, Ambrosia etc and it all adds up to a fair profit at the end of the year.

Our association has very low running costs. we meet in the back room of a local pub, club apiary is in the garden of a kindly member.

Community grants from local authorities can be a good source. I know of several group in the Newcastle area who recieved several K each from a sustainable communities fund. The papaerwork was onerous but worth the effort I believe. This was a couple of years ago mind you when councils actually still had some money

Asda have a similar scheme to Waitrose,
Screwfix foundation also support local charities.
Your local councillor may have a "local group support fund"

Lottery useless unless you are a one legged lesbian.. Am not, so failed after 2 attempts.:beatdeadhorse5: Apparently we needed to have lots of various jobless, minority and ethnic variations to be considered. We do welcome all to our Assoc, and am not going round assessing their family tree or CVs

Co-op good.. also see if your County has a Grants Foundation that can allocate funds. I got about £4000 4 years ago by various outlets.. Waitrose gave some with their instore green counter scheme. All adds up.

:icon_204-2:
topless/nude calendar? just got time to get one photographed and printed up before the big sales season.

i can just see the cover picture - finman in all his natural glory, standing outside his sauna, brandishing a kilo bag of sugar and a measuring jug with 500ml water in it, with only his old washing machine mixer to protect his modesty.

or perhaps finman could donate pictures for every month? 12 assorted arty deposits by the village dogs.

:icon_204-2:

Bag pack in a supermarket can raise £800+ in a couple of hours.

Back