how best to store brood frames of stores

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newportbuzz

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
19 through the winter
hi nice simple question i have in order of 50 brood frames with capped stores mainly syrup which i intend to remove from my hives shortly (everything dependant weather flow etc) and use for making up nuc's later on in the year.
How would you go about storing them?

They will be fully caped with some thymol syrup and some late honey (proberly ivy)

Frezzer seems a bit over the top so i was hoping for a more economic way of storing.

I just stick mine in a plastic box with a sealable insect proof lid. (The kind you get from cheap shops.) Then keep them in a coolish place.
Cazza

Or cling film, but box is best.....You are protecting against wax moth, mice and damp so somewhere sealed and dry is where you ar looking for. Freeze before storing to kill off any wax moth already in frames

perfect what i thought myself really just wanted a few second opinions. ill start looking out for sealable boxes

Just interested how you ended up with 50 brood (deeps) of stores in the Spring when you only have 5 hives? Sounds a bit OTT with the winter prep ;)

ahh well here is how i managed to end up where i am.

last year i split from one hive to 5 one of which i sent to the heather so it left me with 4 hives at home which duly got their apiguard and the weather held and they kept bringing in stores so i took a leap and decided to add a extra broodbox on all 4 hives at home and feed well. they drew out some beautifly comb and duly stored the syrup in it. so winter went well and i have no losses and lots of stores and a plan to make a few nucs and a bit of increase so it seemed a good move to remove some of the full frames and replace with foundation and a feed inbetween the flows to get some more frames drawn and also to build up for making the nucs.
i am not actualy certain of my numbers but i would guess that about half the frames are fully capped and not used for brood at the moment the were given 48 frames to draw last winter so i reckon somewhere between 20 and 60 frames to remove from both boxes and also some in single box

well thats the story and the outline plan aswell. all dependant on weather matings clean disease tests etc etc

I have a very large brand new wheelie bin for recyclables which has never been used for designed purpose. Its just big enough to get about 3 layers of 8-10 frames of dadant brood frames in which I put in wrapped in bin bags. Theres a good seal on the lid to keep the rodents and moth out. Just have to hope there are no moth eggs on the frames before they go in as havent got a freezer I can use to kill them before the frames go into the wheelie bin hence wrapping a small number at a time in bin bags.

Latest posts

Back