honey warmer heat source

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popparand

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have made a honey warmer out of an old wooden chest, and an external thermostat with sensor probe. The heat source I used was a fan heater, but I think it overheats and cuts out. Ideally I would like to heat up to c. 60 centigrade. I was thinking of using an infra red bulb to provide heat, but I wonder if anyone has tried this or can recommend an alternative.....?

I have made a honey warmer out of an old wooden chest, and an external thermostat with sensor probe. The heat source I used was a fan heater, but I think it overheats and cuts out. Ideally I would like to heat up to c. 60 centigrade. I was thinking of using an infra red bulb to provide heat, but I wonder if anyone has tried this or can recommend an alternative.....?

I'm with JBM that tubular heaters are the way to go. I assume you don't want to heat your honey to 60 c !!

I was having issues with a fan heater, solved it by putting in a second fan that was constantly running

I have a similar set up to JBM. With decent insulation, as in an old fridge a 60W heat source easily takes my cabinet up to 50 degrees, which is the utmost limit that I would want in a warming cabinet. A fan heater is usually 500-2000 watts. A bit of overkill, plus I want my warming to be slow and gentle. With a separate fan installed and an stc1000 stat, my set up maintains a temp within 0.1 C degrees.

You need good insulation and low wattage for evenness. I use a Habistat terrarium mat. It wasn't quite enough so I added a fluorescent light bulb. Even an incandescent one can get quite hot and overheat the nearer jars.

I'm with JBM that tubular heaters are the way to go. I assume you don't want to heat your honey to 60 c !!

You have to remember as well that some tubular heaters have a fairly low temperature ceiling, I've had two that struggled to make the grade, the ones I posted the link to have a maximum way above that needed for honey

I have a warmer made out of PIR with Thornes heating cable. It takes two buckets
Honey warms more quickly and more evenly in my jam maker. I wish Aldi would have another offer....it's getting rather old and well used now....the jam maker, that is

My cabinet is about 15 yrs old now made out of heavy dense chipboard insulated on the inside with a 20mm cream insulating board. Heat is via incandescent bulbs 25,40, 2 x 25 or 25 + 40w, temp is stable depending on bulb/s combo used and temps varys dependant on ext ambient temp from 30c to 60c at different times of the year.
Internally no fan is fitted but there is an aluminium heat sink/shield that forms an arc over the bulb/s to evenly radiate/distribute heat. A small digital battery thermometer is used to keep an eye on the temp.

Last edited:

Ted Hooper, Guide to bees and honey: "....heat after bottling for 62c (145 f) for an hour in a water bath".

Is this not recommended practice?

Ted Hooper, Guide to bees and honey: "....heat after bottling for 62c (145 f) for an hour in a water bath".

Not any more, mid forties is ample, sometimes less, but takes longer

Heat is transferred much quicker into the honey, from water, than from air. The higher the temp and the longer the time at that temp the more HMF produced and degrading of the honey. The water bath is used to Prolong the life of runny honey, and I would not use my warming cabinet at such high temps.

Last edited:
Heat is transferred much quicker into the honey, from water, than from air. The higher the temp and the longer the time at that temp the more HMF produced and degrading of the honey. The water bath is used to Prolong the life of runny honey, and I would not use my warming cabinet at such high temps.

OK. The mid 40's have it. I'll let Ted Hooper know:)

Thanks for the advice, folks.

Am I missing something here?
Does everybody heat their honey after putting it in jars?
I never have.

FWIW.

Mine is a dead freezer chest type, heated by a one foot 55W tube heater and managed by an STC1000 controller. The STC is set to 35 and the honey gets to 38 ish which is fine for going through the 200 micron mesh in the spin drier.

PH

Am I missing something here?
Does everybody heat their honey after putting it in jars?
I never have.

I certainly pop a couple of buckets in my warmer set at 35c for 12-24hrs prior to bottling. It makes bottling easy and a smooth operation.

Latest posts

Back