Honey tank heater

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember Grizzly hatched out some cracking queens in his airing cupboard last year,I was shocked it worked and must try it.

For my warming cabinet I use CFLs - cheap, cheerful and last a looong time. Lots of low wattages available if you want to do smaller amounts. Possibly not quite as good as incandescants, if you want to temperature control with a thyristor circuit, but generally I find no particular problem.

I sometimes leave a 10l bucket in the oven - but before doing that do make sure the thermostat is good enough (and one can be confident it won't overheat - or even melt the bucket!!). Defrost settings on some might be a possibility. I leave a temperature sensor on top of the bucket with a loud alarm buzzer in the kitchen. No accidents - yet (fingers crossed).

Regards, RAB

No airing cupboard Veg?
I am not sure if we have a kitchen let alone an oven,I will have to ask the wife..

simplest solution is to stand the tank ontop of a brood box or a pair of supers you should have a couple spare since the bees are not using them, if you have a solid floor of tiles or just put a piece of wood down stand to the super brood box on top a couple of timber battons over the top to hold the tank in the air and put a 40w or 60w light bulb under the tank on the floor any old light will do say an old bed side lamp or a work light switch it on and away you go, as long as there is around a foot or so from the buld to the tank thats fine if your there and becarfull that it dont get to hot you can evan throw a blanket or towels over the lot to keep the heat in, most modern bed blankets are treated to be fire proof but be careful with an old one a 60 w bulb will warm it through in around 24 hours heat ing from the top is a very poor idea as the heat lifts up rather than down through the honey

Might as well try it Pete, members heve suggested just about everything else.

For my warming cabinet I use CFLs - cheap, cheerful and last a looong time. Lots of low wattages available if you want to do smaller amounts. Possibly not quite as good as incandescants, if you want to temperature control with a thyristor circuit, but generally I find no particular problem.

I sometimes leave a 10l bucket in the oven - but before doing that do make sure the thermostat is good enough (and one can be confident it won't overheat - or even melt the bucket!!). Defrost settings on some might be a possibility. I leave a temperature sensor on top of the bucket with a loud alarm buzzer in the kitchen. No accidents - yet (fingers crossed).

Regards, RAB

If paranoid one can install a 'thermal link' into the circuit, to head off any accident with a faulty thermo-stat.

John Wilkinson

A thermo thingamijig/link is an alloy (solder) designed to melt at a pre determined temperature, once melted it's totally knackered, therefore it's fail safe !
Comprendi ??

John Wilkinson

ok meldrew I did say that I do not understand electrickery :svengo: compredi

Hey Veg, how long ago was it that you didn't understand bees? Electricity is just bees with wires. Depending on the size, the sting might be bigger. :)

The advice given is also for the benefit of other members of the forum, despite it being your question. Hopefully you should be able to get information that will meet your needs, but don't forget the other guys and gals too. They in turn might be able to assist you.

:rolleyes:Hombre what are you on about?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back