Honey stored for 5 years

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I found some honey that I extracted In 2015 and stored in my garage.
It looks and tastes OK, but I'm worried about HMF levels.
Should I be and can I still sell it ?

FSA labelling guidelines ask for a 2 year best before date, regardless.
You can test the HMF, but I'd say no to selling and use it myself.
Looking at the rigmarole that other food producers go through to market their product, I'd say we get off lightly, as we should be dealing with a finished product by the time it goes in the jar.
Anyone else trying to sell a 5 year old food product would be laughed at. :D
Not sure if others agree.

There is no 'best before' set guideline for honey, the 'recommendation' is usually three years, is not legislative and has more to do with the condition of the packaging than the content.
Anyway, the BBE date only applies from the day of bottling so it can sit in the bucket for years and still be sold.
Why would you be worried about HMF levels? has it been sat in a warming cabinet all this time?

I can't see any problems with anything. As long as it hasn't fermented it should be good.
HMF levels......not sure why they should rise with stored honey!
E

My garage gets pretty warm!! Certainly worth considering but I doubt you will have any issues

I read today that HMF levels rise in stored honey. The text didn't say by how much.

Thanks for answering

I read today that HMF levels rise in stored honey. The text didn't say by how much.

Thanks for answering

You are correct. For example Malaysian honey is recommended to be eaten within one year because of the climatic storage conditions.

I'll bet that the temperature in your garage is much cooler than in a beehive. HMF depends on both time and temperature.

Latest posts

Back