Honey Ripener?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ripener is for extracted honey. It is there to allow the honey to settle once it has been run through muslin or filters. The honey can be jarred from the ripener or it can be run off into pails for soft setting later.

just a settling tank or bucket the word ripener is misleading

Thank you. I thought it might be a misleading term myself. A ripener would surely have to have some means of evaporating which i think would be a delicate job to do. I could not see any means of heating or evaporating on the illustration.

A ripening tank is merely a place where extracted honey is allowed to settle before jarring it after a few days. Warming slightly helps too but less than, say, 35C best to begin with. Anything food grade plastic is OK - with or without a valve for jarring the contents.

Since the idea is to allow what will sink to sink and what will float to float, having a 'tall' tank is better for ripening - achieving maximum separation of what you don't want in the jars!

Similarly, for skimming off froth and pollen-rich 'scum', a small surface is helpful to bring it together as a thicker, more easily skimmed, layer.

So, I'd say that a proper 'ripening tank' is a tall narrow thing, rather than any standard bucket with a honey gate on the bottom.
Not that you can't do the job in a bucket, just that you can do the job better with something designed for the job. And, imho, it'd be better to reserve the term for referring specifically to the specific item.

Latest posts

Back