honey price update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gosh that's cheap!!!!
Yes, but the BKA will add a retail markup.

A recent thread on honey prices (there are several here) included a map that showed Lincolnshire to be one of the poorest places in the UK.

Having said that, unless the BKA know their market and price accordingly, it will still be cheap. What is the visitor demographic? Easy to look in the car park and assess.

The going rate near me is £6 for a 12oz jar, I've been selling at that price for several years now that I was considering increasing the price as I'm selling out as soon as it comes off the hives.

Crazy prices, i can sell my honey two or three times over i.e. demand is greater than supply and so it is for most beekeepers. I wholesale at £4.75 they retail at £6/£6.25 per 8oz jar hex.

Don't underprice and associations putting out honey prices like that should be shot. This year our association will sell at £10/£8/£6 for 1lb, 12oz, 8oz.

Crazy prices, i can sell my honey two or three times over i.e. demand is greater than supply and so it is for most beekeepers. I wholesale at £4.75 they retail at £6/£6.25 per 8oz jar hex.

Don't underprice and associations putting out honey prices like that should be shot. This year our association will sell at £10/£8/£6 for 1lb, 12oz, 8oz.

Yes, there's a greater demand than there is supply where we are and we sell out of everything within 24 hours no matter how much we have! We sell ours at £6 8oz and £10 1lb as well.

Yes, there's a greater demand than there is supply where we are and we sell out of everything within 24 hours no matter how much we have! We sell ours at £6 8oz and £10 1lb as well.

Where do you sell your honey? I see lots of posts from people who appear to sell all their supply really quick. As a new beekeeper I'm wondering where I should be trying to offload whatever honey I get.

Where do you sell your honey? I see lots of posts from people who appear to sell all their supply really quick. As a new beekeeper I'm wondering where I should be trying to offload whatever honey I get.

We're in Warrington. I don't sell at markets though, we sell everything from our doorstep so to speak. We post on social media when we have honey available and often have a waiting list.

I sell 'at the gate' and supply just ONE of the local shops if I have enough. As a backup - never needed it yet - there is a local Christmas market I could attend. I have found that "recipe" works very well for me .

Take a jar into a local shop and show it to the shopkeeper. Ask if he'd like to take a few jars on sale or return.
Last year we had more honey than we could easily sell from the gate. My bee buddy spoke to the butcher he shopped at in Leeds market and to the owner of a deli in a village near one of our apiaries. The butcher took 50 jars and the deli 12. The deli owner phoned last week and ordered another 15 jars.

Seems the muppets from our local associations are happy to give their hard earned labour's away at a cut price, it so winds me up, if they weren't running as charity's and had to make a profit and adhere to food standards it wouldn't be so undervalued.

We are in East Sussex. We were intending to sell at £7.50 for 12oz and £5 for 8oz. After seeing what people are saying, we might pop .50p on the 8oz.

When I got my first harvest I had 2 buckets of honey, about 65 * 400g jars. I use 400g jars as I found a cheap place to get them.

I felt overwhelmed with all that honey and had no idea how I would ever sell it. I started with my friends, family and co-workers. Then they all started introducing me to more of their friends. The stock pile quickly started dwindling.

I found dropping the fact that you keep bees into every conversation possible helps too. If people know you keep bees, they will ask for honey if they want it. I ended up selling to my dentist via this approach.

With a bit of word of mouth you will soon find some honey regular customers.

By my second harvest I already had some orders to fill. Then my wife started selling online and demand could never be satisfied from that moment on-wards. I had 4 hives so it was not a big operation, but all honey would sell out with in a month of harvest.

A large part of the online demand was for chunk honey, a 400g jar with a chunk in it sold for £12+p&p, there was less competition for chunk so it sold well at a good price.

But good luck with your 1st harvest. When you see your first jar of home made honey, its like having a gold bar in you hand, then you will realize how easy it will be to sell.

When I got my first harvest I had 2 buckets of honey, about 65 * 400g jars. I use 400g jars as I found a cheap place to get them.

I felt overwhelmed with all that honey and had no idea how I would ever sell it. I started with my friends, family and co-workers. Then they all started introducing me to more of their friends. The stock pile quickly started dwindling.

I found dropping the fact that you keep bees into every conversation possible helps too. If people know you keep bees, they will ask for honey if they want it. I ended up selling to my dentist via this approach.

With a bit of word of mouth you will soon find some honey regular customers.

By my second harvest I already had some orders to fill. Then my wife started selling online and demand could never be satisfied from that moment on-wards. I had 4 hives so it was not a big operation, but all honey would sell out with in a month of harvest.

A large part of the online demand was for chunk honey, a 400g jar with a chunk in it sold for £12+p&p, there was less competition for chunk so it sold well at a good price.

But good luck with your 1st harvest. When you see your first jar of home made honey, its like having a gold bar in you hand, then you will realize how easy it will be to sell.

Thank you for taking the time to write this very uplifting and inspirational response.

Latest posts

Back