Honey on 'country'file

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of snapping a pic of my honey on a mobile phone and uploading it the wherever and receiving the results back pronto - or am I living in cloud-cuckoo-land?

Be careful what you wish for. If, and its a big if, a new method was made available to all, firstly I doubt it would take long for the adulterators to come up with some way of masking this and secondly if some producers / beekeepers start publishing their anti adulteration analysis it may raise the question in the publics mind that anyone who doesn't test is up to no good. I doubt it will be free to analyses either. how much would you be prepared to pay for each lot you bottled?

Personally I think its a debate to steer well clear of, let the bulk honey blenders / producers worry about this and for UK honey producers, small and larger, to champion the local provenance.

I like the idea of snapping a pic of my honey on a mobile phone and uploading it the wherever and receiving the results back pronto - or am I living in cloud-cuckoo-land?
I don't think a mobile phone camera has the capability needed for this. The testing needs to be done in controlled conditions.

They have to be carefull how sensitive the measurements are. It would be a big issue for some if even the minutest trace of winter feed or varia treatment was picked up and flagged.

Most of us don't really know what happens to excess winter stores in the hive from sugar syrup etc. Does it linger, is it mixes up and so dilute not to flag or does cane sugar / Ambrosia have a specific fingerprint.

She probably have a hand embroidered badge to put on her beesuit
And a chain to wear on formal occasions.
I think that and your previous comment are unfairly harsh - even if meant as a joke. Lynne came and gave a great talk to our association. At least she is trying to do something about the shocking amount of adulterated honey found in supermarkets and across the UK. I would have thought that was something we could all get behind. Just for once you could try being less cynical about everything

Because she is simply trying her best to help make things better and as usual you pile on the ridicule. You come across as very blinkered and cynical. You should look back through all your posts and reflect on the tone - how many are negative and how many are positive.

I think that and your previous comment are unfairly harsh - even if meant as a joke. Lynne came and gave a great talk to our association. At least she is trying to do something about the shocking amount of adulterated honey found in supermarkets and across the UK. I would have thought that was something we could all get behind. Just for once you could try being less cynical about everything
Can you provide evidence that there is a 'shocking amount of adulterated honey found in supermarkets and across the UK'. Surely if this were the case then there would have been numerous prosecutions? If the guardian article from March this year is to be believed why did they not name the sellers of honey failing authenticity testing?

Can you provide evidence that there is a 'shocking amount of adulterated honey found in supermarkets and across the UK'. Surely if this were the case then there would have been numerous prosecutions? If the guardian article from March this year is to be believed why did they not name the sellers of honey failing authenticity testing?
Guardian article was based on EU research. The EU didn't release the sellers/brand info..

If you join/follow? the HAN on Facebook it links to various information about honey adulteration including this one: All UK honey tested in EU fraud investigation fails authenticity test It's a problem across the whole of Europe. It's not just honey. Food fraud is big business but very little done about it. The resources to carry out proper checks just aren't available. Edit - just saw you have seen the guardian article. The big question is why do don't the government do anything? I'd love to know. It looks like Europe are going to start making honey producers list all countries of origin, but the UK won't...why?

I didn't realise that we had to pander to the BBKA acolytes now
It's not clever and it's not funny, at least not to most. You have a wealth of bee knowledge and experience and at times are very generous giving very sound advice. I have gained much from many of your posts and the posts of others but why spoil your image with cheap cracks?

I enjoy your posts JBM. I am thick skinned but do sometimes feel your comments are near the mark. I accept that is you, but others might be put off the forum. No worries.

is that the best you can add as your annual contribution of less than 2 posts a year since you joined?
The audience shouting "Stato" in Fantasy Football is all I can hear at the moment.

I have never on forums seen a comment like that. How many would think about looking at a person's posting history after reading a very short comment like that. 🤣

Quite a few seemingly.
I would have checked it out too
Everyday is a school day.
To be transparent I do check people's posting history when someone had made a statement that I am unsure about or, is new / controversial so I get a feel for the posters intentions.

No - for one thing I know where my honey comes from, and it would just be the start of the long road to over regulation and we'd still have the usual suspect inventing names to try and imply 'their' honey is more magical than the others.
It's only the honey from dubious sources or obscure origin that needs testing
Supermarket honey basically

Latest posts

Back