Honey names?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nannysbees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Very early days for us but I've ordered jars just in case we are lucky enough to get honey this year. Looking at labels and not sure what name to put on the jar. Nanny's bees honey, Mel Jenkins honey etc what is your honey called?

Start with the UK honey regulations.......

We have Cornwall Trading Standards accreditation... Product of Cornwall
Kings Orchard
Cornish Black Bee Honey

Last edited:
not sure what name to put on the jar
Best start with a clear idea of what you intend to do with the crop.

Anything goes if you mean to eat or give it away, but from the garden gate and beyond the name will influence sales. If you supply outlets within five miles at a decent price, visitors as well as locals must must be able to locate your honey in the landscape in the nano-second it takes to scan the shelf.

For example: we had a hobby beekeeper couple who sold from the door with a label that read 49 Chestnut Avenue Honey (maybe more in smaller print). That title worked for passers-by, but not much else.

I know another who sells from his front door with a label that locates the honey in a well-known area of 30 sq. miles. He sold about £6k from his front door last summer, all in 227g jars.

Avoid county or borough titles: it's 75 miles from Chigwell to Felixstowe and though both are in Essex the customer will have no clue where the honey was produced, and if they're willing to pay good money for local honey they want to connect emotively with the source.

PS: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/1348/pdfs/uksi_20151348_en.pdf
and more info. links at the foot of http://harrowbeekeepers.co.uk/sites/default/files/Labels2015forForager.pdf

i have three apiaries, and the honey from each is sold under a different name, although using a similar label and alliteration. The name of each apiary starts with an H, so, for example, the last one to be named is the Hawthorn Hives. The first two apiaries were both located in places beginning with H, and we were racking our brains for the third until we looked over the wall and saw the bees working two large hawthorn bushes.
We've two new apiaries for 2021. I just hope that my little eye spots something beginning with H in the area other than the Hayterette that I'll be using to keep the grass down.

I call mine “Ealing Common Honey” as I don’t want it to be associated with the riff raff from other parts of Ealing 😉. Seriously though, we sold our first proper crop very locally this year and so a very local label assisted immensely.

We got really creative and imaginative with ours. Took us hours of effort to come up with the name.

As our main apiary is within spitting distance from where the Battle of Hastings (supposedly) happened, we decided to call ours 1066 Honey.
Our bees probably enjoy the (supposed) battlefield. I can't be 100% sure, as I've never followed them around, but have seen bees when I've gone there for a walk.

Plus the name plays well with the tourists, and the DFLs.

I call mine “Ealing Common Honey” as I don’t want it to be associated with the riff raff from other parts of Ealing 😉. Seriously though, we sold our first proper crop very locally this year and so a very local label assisted immensely.
In that case, surely you should call it "Ealing Posh Honey"? :unsure:

Mine are named after the villages the apiaries are in. Initially folks want their local honey but I have encouraged them to try all of them. I now get punters who regularly take a selection of 4 at a time and one who takes 10 every 3-4 weeks.
When last years crop runs out in about a months time I will have sold £5k of honey from this shelf, customers just take the honey and pop the cash through the letter box 😊IMG_0674.jpg

Where do your labels come from Penny?
I make them myself. Wasn't really keen on any of the designs from the usual suppliers so just drew them up and print them myself. It meant I could do about 10 different versions of the label too, each having a different 'Bee fact' on the side. My customers seem to like getting a jar with a different fact on it each time.

I make them myself. Wasn't really keen on any of the designs from the usual suppliers so just drew them up and print them myself. It meant I could do about 10 different versions of the label too, each having a different 'Bee fact' on the side. My customers seem to like getting a jar with a different fact on it each time.
I do exactly the same, printing in small numbers, 30-40 each time, for each apiary with a selection of "bee facts" on the tamper evident labels.

Because of migratory beekeeping here, we generally tend to label our honey according to the floral source eg. Clover, Blue Gum, Leatherwood, Stringy Bark, Prickly Box etc. and on the mainland trees like Jarrah, Yellow Box etc.

I do exactly the same, printing in small numbers, 30-40 each time, for each apiary with a selection of "bee facts" on the tamper evident labels.

Do you use laser or inkjet printers to do them? I only have inkjet currently and my understanding is the labels would be prone to runs. I am trying to decide whether it is worth treating myself to a laser printer.

Do you use laser or inkjet printers to do them? I only have inkjet currently and my understanding is the labels would be prone to runs. I am trying to decide whether it is worth treating myself to a laser printer.
You definitely need a laser printer. Laser toner is a powder which is heat fused to the paper and doesn't run at all when wet - or covered in honey! Inkjets literally use ink which just soaks into the paper being printed and runs whenever it gets damp again.
I already had a laser printer and do a lot of design work and printing anyway so it was a no-brainer for me really.
However laser printers are much cheaper than they were and although toner initially seems expensive it works out much cheaper per page.

You definitely need a laser printer. Laser toner is a powder which is heat fused to the paper and doesn't run at all when wet - or covered in honey! Inkjets literally use ink which just soaks into the paper being printed and runs whenever it gets damp again.
I already had a laser printer and do a lot of design work and printing anyway so it was a no-brainer for me really.
However laser printers are much cheaper than they were and although toner initially seems expensive it works out much cheaper per page.
Laser printer too in batches of 10. Just call mine premium artisan honey, as I mainly sell from the gate and have my hives in the garden, with a nice little write-up. Many customers have referred to my label as very professional when they read the write-up.

This is what I use but unfortunately it's been discontinued - it was only about £100.

https://www.printerbase.co.uk/ricoh-sp-213w-a4-mono-laser-printer.html
Because I sell most of my honey from the shelves they are out there in all weathers so the paper labels were always getting ruined. I've changed to these labels in polyester which are clean crisp and can take any amount of handling.

https://www.flexilabels.co.uk/a4-sh...2-rectangle-labels-per-a4-sheet-65-mm-x-70-mm

Latest posts

Back