Honey names?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a lot in a name. A few years ago I received a strange message from a lady I didn't know, asking was it true I went to Trelewis infants school.
Well, yes but ....
It turned out this lady had visited her father and took him a jar of honey as a gift as bees had been in his family for generations. He told her that he knew me from school, which she took as a wind up at the time. He mentioned it again and told her stories of the things we used to get up to on his auntie's farm. Michael was always wicked and he was very ill so I guess she didn't know whether to believe him or not.
Michael was my best friend in infants and yes all those stories were true. His auntie Oona had a farm on the side of a bleak mountain above the old Taff Merthyr colliery, a scary woman people avoided but she was great with us. We found a swarm one afternoon and ran to tell her and had a treat of home made sponge and lemonade after she caught them. I last saw Michael in 1969, when his family moved back to Sligo in Ireland, sadly he passed away. A little while later she had bought a jar of honey, saw the label and thought "I wonder?"

When last years crop runs out in about a months time I will have sold £5k of honey from this shelf, customers just take the honey and pop the cash through the letter box 😊
Do you sell mostly at the door rather than outlets? I was thinking of putting up a shelf/box outside but wasn't sure how much losses would be.
My neighbours either side usually put plants out front in the spring and have had them disappear. If people don't want to part with 50p for a plant can I expect the same for my £5 honey?
Do you keep a track of your losses or just factor it into your overall profits?

Titterstone clee honey.
Mine are named after the villages the apiaries are in. Initially folks want their local honey but I have encouraged them to try all of them. I now get punters who regularly take a selection of 4 at a time and one who takes 10 every 3-4 weeks.
When last years crop runs out in about a months time I will have sold £5k of honey from this shelf, customers just take the honey and pop the cash through the letter box 😊View attachment 24362
I wish I was able to put a stand and sell honey at the end of the road but it would get pinched.
Got any ideas what I could do.??
We have called our honey titterstone cell honey.
I will just be using one label for all honey, even if its creamed, spring, summer, late summer, ivy, Heather.
The shops are putting on there signs that it's either of the above.

Mine are named after the villages the apiaries are in. Initially folks want their local honey but I have encouraged them to try all of them. I now get punters who regularly take a selection of 4 at a time and one who takes 10 every 3-4 weeks.
When last years crop runs out in about a months time I will have sold £5k of honey from this shelf, customers just take the honey and pop the cash through the letter box 😊View attachment 24362
5k from an honesty box ?

I wouldn't be advertising any amount of money made from selling.

AT the wife's late Gran's bungalow we simply have a sign or two nailed to the tree, peeps have to phone or ring the door bell. Honesty box for most I doubt would work or last long.

I wouldn't be advertising any amount of money made form selling.
Is that for disclosure to the taxman?!
Lots of people on here have talked about their profits through honey sales ( and bees etc etc.)

I wouldn't want to have an honesty box outside for money (although I'm sure people have no probs with this in some areas). But how do people get on with money honestly being deposited through the letterbox?

Last edited:
Do you sell mostly at the door rather than outlets? I was thinking of putting up a shelf/box outside but wasn't sure how much losses would be.
My neighbours either side usually put plants out front in the spring and have had them disappear. If people don't want to part with 50p for a plant can I expect the same for my £5 honey?
I do supply a couple of health shops but I get a better price from outside my house so while I can sell all I produce from the shelves I've not pushed the retail.
I had 4 jars stolen in the first year I put the shelves up, all on the same day and all by the local teenage yobs (the broken jars were found at the local recreation ground) Since its become common knowledge I have cameras up I haven't lost a jar.

Titterstone clee honey.

I wish I was able to put a stand and sell honey at the end of the road but it would get pinched.
Got any ideas what I could do.??
We have called our honey titterstone cell honey.
I will just be using one label for all honey, even if its creamed, spring, summer, late summer, ivy, Heather.
The shops are putting on there signs that it's either of the above.
I'm lucky as I have a WBC hive as an advert plus a notice board adjacent to the pavement which informs people about my apiaries and what honey is available from the shelves.
The shelves are on the wall of my house so anyone is very exposed if they wanted to nick anything. My cameras are the black spec on the wall to the right above the window and another which is well hidden.

Edit Blink for Home: Home page these are the cameras, cheap and easy but don't believe that the batteries last as long as they say (2 years}. If the cameras are quite busy they last 3-6 months but at £3 a set I think its good value at 50p-£1 per month!

Attachments

• 2019-06-24 15.52.27.jpg
    2019-06-24 15.52.27.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Is that for disclosure to the taxman?!
Lots of people on here have talked about their profits through honey sales ( and bees etc etc.)

I wouldn't want to have an honesty box outside for money (although I'm sure people have no probs with this in some areas). But how do people get on with money honestly being deposited through the letterbox?
They all seem to manage the concept of putting money through the letter box and most are very honest. I even had some walkers who bought some honey while we were out but didn't have enough money for the two jars so they found my phone number when they got home and rang me to transfer the extra pound to my bank account.
TBH many haven't the proper change and often put more money through than they owe. I had one guy who took 3 jars recently which should have been £16.50 who left £20.

They all seem to manage the concept of putting money through the letter box and most are very honest. I even had some walkers who bought some honey while we were out but didn't have enough money for the two jars so they found my phone number when they got home and rang me to transfer the extra pound to my bank account.
TBH many haven't the proper change and often put more money through than they owe. I had one guy who took 3 jars recently which should have been £16.50 who left £20.

I recently walked past a house where a woman had started a coffee shop out the kitchen window ,no cash no problem , she was using PayPal for friends, just using an email address ,job done.She was doing a roaring little trade too.

I recently walked past a house where a woman had started a coffee shop out the kitchen window ,no cash no problem , she was using PayPal for friends, just using an email address ,job done.She was doing a roaring little trade too.
Yes that something I've been considering.

If your neighbour's plants disappear don't put your honey out. You have worked too hard for someone to steal it. I put a sign out with local raw honey, price and my mobile phone no. and people either phone me at the gate or phone to make an appointment or catch me when I am out and about. I put a little table outside which we exchange at change given in a plastic bag.

Id never trust putting honey out wirh an honestly box where I live!!!!! Id be devastated after all the work my bees had done to produce it and then get stolen, I like the idea of putting the contact details outside, although I'd be worried in case id get dodgy phone calls. My grandfather used to sell tomatoes and had a sign outside, sold every tomato he produced but they were different times.

Id never trust putting honey out wirh an honestly box where I live!!!!! Id be devastated after all the work my bees had done to produce it and then get stolen, I like the idea of putting the contact details outside, although I'd be worried in case id get dodgy phone calls. My grandfather used to sell tomatoes and had a sign outside, sold every tomato he produced but they were different times.

Use a cheap pay as you go phone I guess , throw away as soon as you get the village idiot on the end .

Very early days for us but I've ordered jars just in case we are lucky enough to get honey this year. Looking at labels and not sure what name to put on the jar. Nanny's bees honey, Mel Jenkins honey etc what is your honey called?
Gilberdyke Honey works for me

Our business is called The Little Apiary Company Ltd so that's what goes on our jars with honey underneath. If I ever get around to producing chunk honey I'll just change the honey to chunk honey.

Latest posts

Back