Honey from sugar water?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughMann

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Hi
I caught a swarm in July and fed them up as I wanted them to have a really good start. They filled a BS 14x12 deep with brood and stores very quickly so I gave them a super and 1-1 sugar water to get them to draw wax out. Maybe gave them too much sugar water as they have not only drawn out the wax - but filled the vox with capped honey. 2nd super now on the go.
Q- is that first super box edible? I was thinking not as it is from sugar water (plus whatever the bees brought in of course)
What do you think?
I was planning to let them winter in the brood box as there should be plenty of stores in that big box.
Thanks

OK thanks
What would you do with that SW super?

What would you do with that SW super?

Let the bees have it as winter food. If you don't need it for that hive you can give it to another, or even freeze it for when you might need it later in the winter. Just put a mark on the frames if you freeze it, to remind you that it isn't really honey.

Thanks
I don't want the queen to go up there in the winter and I only have one hive, so maybe pop it back on in the spring. Does it really need freezing? I have a switched off empty fridge I was going to put bits like that in

Thanks
I don't want the queen to go up there in the winter and I only have one hive, so maybe pop it back on in the spring. Does it really need freezing? I have a switched off empty fridge I was going to put bits like that in

If it’s capped you just need to store it in the super it’s in sealed top and bottom with a crown board somewhere cool. A shed would do. Be careful giving it to the bees next spring as it could easily end up in your honey.
Me? I would spin it out and feed it to the bees as autumn food.

Does it really need freezing? I have a switched off empty fridge I was going to put bits like that in

No, it doesn't need freezing, but it's a certain way to keep it away from wax moths and various other hungry critters, which is why I do it.

No, it doesn't need freezing, but it's a certain way to keep it away from wax moths and various other hungry critters, which is why I do it.
Capped honey supers or even wet supers after extraction are not usually attacked by wax moth ... they can safely be stored in a super with a board top and bottom and cinched up tight. Nothing much will have got into them if you take them straight from the hive into storage. Like Dani though ... I'd spin the lot out and feed it back to the bees for winter stores in the brood box.

So if I spin it and give it back to them when they only have the brood box - they can only use it if they make space to store it, or just use for energy....
Like it - thx

Latest posts

Back