Honey from new apiary is flavourless

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Previously, I had a few hives in my back garden. These colonies produced a honey that tasted of flowers. I'm not a huge honey fan, but it even tasted amazing to me, and many people commented on it.
It being my first beekeeping season, I assumed this was the norm.

End of last year, I migrated the bees to a local private estate, just 600 mt's away. 2 acres, overgrown with blackberry, where I've expanded the operation to a dozen colonies.

Now the honey is very light and has very little taste. At a recent honey tasting event no one chose my honey.

Does blackberry produce flavourless honey?

Any ideas and feedback welcome. Thanks.

Does blackberry produce flavourless honey
It's light in colour and sweet so for some it is less flavourful than say spring honey
Rosebay is pale and uninteresting too but to my palate Borage is pretty tasteless and OSR absolutely awful.
A friend sent me some Bell Heather honey and that is the best I've ever tasted

Borage has almost no flavour; my Mum told me it wasn't honey but sugar, and that I should take it away, so I did.

HB is also pretty mundane; bell heather sells best for me at market, and most want strong flavours.

Years ago I supplied an Essex farm shop with a dark honey. While later, had a complaint, nothing specific, but it was so disliked that the customer used it for cooking.

It dawned on me that the farm shop was in an OSR area and had been selling the stuff for years, and that my urban dark honey was too much for a palate trained to enjoy the bland.

Borage has almost no flavour; my Mum told me it wasn't honey but sugar, and that I should take it away, so I did.

HB is also pretty mundane; bell heather sells best for me at market, and most want strong flavours.

Years ago I supplied an Essex farm shop with a dark honey. While later, had a complaint, nothing specific, but it was so disliked that the customer used it for cooking.

It dawned on me that the farm shop was in an OSR area and had been selling the stuff for years, and that my urban dark honey was too much for a palate trained to enjoy the bland.

I find that he strong flavour of heather honey overpowers when using in savoury dishes.

I remember once tasting some honey from an urban setting and telling my wife I would close the apiary and move my bees if that was the stuff they produced.

We’ve a lot of pollen/nectar mix around this year - as in loads. A lot of phacelia which I’m assuming is the reason for all the pale light Honey crop I’ve taken off so far - if correct this is an okay Honey but nothing to really shout about and would fit your description Paulypaul.

Latest posts

Back