Harvest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've just finished extracting - a fairly good year considering the start. Whether you like the process of extraction or not there is a perverse pleasure in seeing the frames spinning out that glorious golden liquid and the buckets filling - whether it's one bucket or a hundred it's the same feeling. These wonderful tiny creatures, so industrious that they produce far, far, in excess of the crop their size and numbers would suggest is ever possible. It's a source of constant wonder to me and I love it.

Whatever your religious persuasion (or lack of it) it's a fantastic time to consider and be grateful for what nature brings us...

Mind you ... I just loathe the clearing up afterwards !

I've just finished extracting - a fairly good year considering the start. Whether you like the process of extraction or not there is a perverse pleasure in seeing the frames spinning out that glorious golden liquid and the buckets filling - whether it's one bucket or a hundred it's the same feeling. These wonderful tiny creatures, so industrious that they produce far, far, in excess of the crop their size and numbers would suggest is ever possible. It's a source of constant wonder to me and I love it.

Whatever your religious persuasion (or lack of it) it's a fantastic time to consider and be grateful for what nature brings us...

It's truly amazing what our little insects can accomplish, but boy do I loath this time of year,
I hate extracting honey with a passion only surpassed by the Heather cropping 🤣.

I love the smell in the room while the honey is spinning out.

You and me both!

It does feel good when it's over and jarred though.

For us the jarring is never ending.

I've just spent the last two days filling jars and the evenings labeling them and all the while thinking 🤔 " the Apistan isn't doing any good still in the packet ".

For us the jarring is never ending.

I've just spent the last two days filling jars and the evenings labeling them and all the while thinking 🤔 " the Apistan isn't doing any good still in the packet ".
Spent this week at my day job and evenings until the early hours extracting and jarring. Tonight I've finished 420 jars for one client (had done 99 of those yesterday). Next client's hopefully begins tomorrow! Maybe I'll get to bed before midnight eventually.

Last edited:
I spread my extractions out over three sessions: Spring in June early July, early August.
Makes super handling much easier, gets honey to market far in advance of my local competitors- a KEY advantage - and reduces strain on my back.
Usually I become competent by the time of the third extraction :devilish:

Edit: a day later.
Sold my last jar of honey. Over 500 including allotment. The power of Facebook coupled with living near a large school so my honey sign is seen by lots of passing mothers (and fathers)

Last edited:
I spread my extractions out over three sessions: Spring in June early July, early August.
Usually I become competent by the time of the third extraction :devilish:
Yehhh ... that's it isn't it ? By the time you are finished you have got everything organised, you are into a routine, the muscle memory is there and it's getting a bit easier .... then ... you don't do it for a year and all that familiarity is lost !

I dislike extraction time too (I thought I was alone in that!), happy but also slightly disappointed that this is my biggest crop lol.

It is nice when its all jarred up and labelled though.

I bought a new drill for my extractor so I can rotate between two now to not over heat one too quickly!

Well.. that's it for another year ...all extraction kit cleaned up and in store.. My trusty old Lega extractor cleaned and dried in the sunshine today and sealed up with pallet wrap already to go back in it's storage place in the garage...I rather wish someone would invent a collapsible extractor .. it does take up a lot of space ! Mind you, before it goes away I've got to find space for the boxes of Paynes closing down kit ....as that's where they are currently lurking... I need another shed !

Attachments

• 20240915_145610.jpg
    20240915_145610.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240915_150854.jpg
    20240915_150854.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Well.. that's it for another year ...all extraction kit cleaned up and in store.. My trusty old Lega extractor cleaned and dried in the sunshine today and sealed up with pallet wrap already to go back in it's storage place in the garage...I rather wish someone would invent a collapsible extractor .. it does take up a lot of space ! Mind you, before it goes away I've got to find space for the boxes of Paynes closing down kit ....as that's where they are currently lurking... I need another shed !
Surprising how many garden sheds are going for next to nothing on FB marketplace. Especially if you can muster a trailer and strong helpers.

Unbelieveable that anyone would want to get rid of a shed. Just goes to show that they aren't all locked up yet. What do they do when they want a place of solace. Likely watch football endlessly on Sky - one "hobby" more expensive than beekeeping with the difference that they have nothing to show for it

Back