Honey extraction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have quite a few nearly full supers (rape fields abound & adjoining here in East York’s) with quite a few demareed hives with top BB’s also back filled with honey. Checked water % all around 19/20% and all pass the non- drip test. Am needing to extract to give space to BB’s & replace filled supers and needing to have hospital op on 1st June and then can’t lift for some weeks. I know target is <18% and at this stage rape not always capped... thoughts on my extracting next weekend? I will store the honey until I can lift & intend to make soft set with this rape honey, can’t be bothered with using dehumidifiers.

even if its 19/20 and passes drip test can be extracted. I'd get on with it prior to being laid up as doesn't need to be capped. just be grateful you have supers to extract ;) If OSR, watch it when it crystallizes as you may fined that some of the liquid that rises to top will have a water concentration significantly higher than 20 and can start to ferment if stored longer term.

I have quite a few nearly full supers (rape fields abound & adjoining here in East York’s) with quite a few demareed hives with top BB’s also back filled with honey. Checked water % all around 19/20% and all pass the non- drip test. Am needing to extract to give space to BB’s & replace filled supers and needing to have hospital op on 1st June and then can’t lift for some weeks. I know target is <18% and at this stage rape not always capped... thoughts on my extracting next weekend? I will store the honey until I can lift & intend to make soft set with this rape honey, can’t be bothered with using dehumidifiers.
You might find it worth reading "The Apiarist" edition of 19 Feb this year. David Evans has tried out a new method of churning honey to make soft set.
Michael

I bought one of the churners (from the German company) but no honey to try it with yet.

I bought one of the churners (from the German company) but no honey to try it with yet.
The way it's going at present I'm not sure I'll get to use mine this year as I have so little in my supers!

I've tried to get one but they don't seem to ship to UK any more, did you get yours before the post-Brexit restrictions came into effect?

I've tried to get one but they don't seem to ship to UK any more, did you get yours before the post-Brexit restrictions came into effect?
No I bought it a few weeks ago along with a load of Kieler mini nucs. I bought them through my company and have an EORI number which apparently makes things smoother.

Have you emailed to ask if they will ship to the UK? Even before Brexit the UK wasn't in the list of destination countries on their website.

Thorne sell them but call them honey churners. Assured they are the same.

I emailed them in Germany yesterday and had a quick response. They do ship to the UK, but it's ordered via email/PayPal once they've got a shipping price for your address, was €16 for Sussex. They seem very helpful, have gone ahead and ordered.
Not that I'll have a spring crop to process after this effing weather!

I emailed them in Germany yesterday and had a quick response. They do ship to the UK, but it's ordered via email/PayPal once they've got a shipping price for your address, was €16 for Sussex. They seem very helpful, have gone ahead and ordered.
Not that I'll have a spring crop to process after this effing weather!
Shipping cost is reasonable I think.

Latest posts

Back