home made solar wax extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
just had a play while the weather was so good - really havent been able to justify the price of a new solar wax extractor and havent quite got around to making a proper job one - however Asda yesterday were selling off cheap some slotted bbq trays - tin foil. bought a pack for a couple of quid put inside a super with plastic tubs underneath old double glazing (coldframe top) on top and bobs your uncle finally getting rid of another clutter. wax is dribbling away nicely! obviously put at a slight angle so had a board underneath and also put a sheet of tin foil inside just in case it wasnt hot enough

Any sheet of glass on a tray is good enough in this weather, always amuses me how it leaves the cell linings behind!

I made one from a turkey roasting tray from Amazon for £18, a anti fat spatter mesh thing from Wilkinsons £3, a crown board underneath, wood super to sit in, and a sheet of glass on top. Works really well.

I made one from a turkey roasting tray from Amazon for £18, a anti fat spatter mesh thing from Wilkinsons £3, a crown board underneath, wood super to sit in, and a sheet of glass on top. Works really well.

I should think so ... I could fry eggs in my greenhouse last night on the aluminium staging !!

Just managed to blag an old d/g unit from a neighbour - and - its - raining!! :(

Somebody down the road is was having new windows fitted today, there was a pile of old DGU, bloke said "they go straight in a skip help yourself" happy days.

Well what can I say.....free is free.!

Somebody down the road is was having new windows fitted today, there was a pile of old DGU, bloke said "they go straight in a skip help yourself" happy days.
Sealed double glazing units on a solar melter get hot enough for the inner glass to crack. Not that operating like that is always a problem but careful handling needed.

For my own solar wax melter I made my double glazing from perspex

Mine still isnt working! No wax melted even in these extremely sunny days! I am using a double glazing unit rescued from a dismantled conservatory and I have made a plywood box with a slope at the correct angle to fit the unit. The glass sits on a draught excluder so is well sealed. The only expanation I came up with was that the glass is heat reflective. What a P1553r!

Mine still isnt working! No wax melted even in these extremely sunny days! I am using a double glazing unit rescued from a dismantled conservatory and I have made a plywood box with a slope at the correct angle to fit the unit. The glass sits on a draught excluder so is well sealed. The only expanation I came up with was that the glass is heat reflective. What a P1553r!

They do use heat reflective glass on them. Get a cheap single sheet or an oven door lol

I should think so ... I could fry eggs in my greenhouse last night on the aluminium staging !!

Yeah that's true, only needs to be 70c. The glass was roasting hot yesterday, could hardly touch it. Good use of older things though.

Sean

ok not sure how this will turn out but heres (hopefully) piccy

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t44/milkermel/IMAG0595.jpg
IMAG0595.jpg

well that worked then! it was basically just thrown together with whatever i had to hand will hopefully remelt and filter out the smaller crud. dont think i needed half the foil etc i used but at least it worked!

Last edited:

Sorry or I'm being daft but isn't the extractor for getting honey out, not for melting wax?

Latest posts

Back