More solar extractor questions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonstandard

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
9 colonies & 2 nucs
OK I have had a root around in the aforementioned sheds and have come up with a 700mm square sheet of stainless with a 50mm welded lip all around, I'm assuming it was a table top or something.

My plan is to invert it and cut and fold down part of the lip on one side and then after a little reshaping to centre the wax flow on the cut-out mount it in a sloping wooden case with a loaf tin or similar to catch the wax.

My concern is that it may be too big; I have a large 1m square ply packing case to use to make the box and some large failed double glazed units for the top, so materials are not an issue, but will a large solar extractor function as well as a smaller one or maybe better?

Simply a surface area/volume question. If you have a bigger window, you get more energy in. So I don't think it would matter. One a hot day, my single glazed one will melt wax pretty fast.

Simply a surface area/volume question. If you have a bigger window, you get more energy in. So I don't think it would matter. One a hot day, my single glazed one will melt wax pretty fast.

especially if you insulate the box and paint the whole thing matt black... I find chalkboard paint cheap and efficient!
2 sheets of glass, as opposed to a SEALED double glazed panel seems to work better too!!

Back