Solar wax extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdmw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am inspired by this hot sunny weather to make a solar wax extractor. I have adapted a thick polystyrene box that the chemist takes delivery of vaccines in and put a double layer of glass in the lid. I have a muslin bag hanging from a jam sieving set full of old comb which will drip into a metal baking tray.
My last decision is whether to paint the inside black to absorb heat or to line the inside with tin foil to reflect the light?
Any physicists out there who could tell me what to do?

Last edited:
I am inspired by this hot sunny weather to make a solar wax extractor. I have adapted a thick polystyrene box that the chemist takes delivery of vaccines in and put a double layer of glass in the lid. I have a muslin bag hanging from a jam sieving set full of old comb which will drip into a metal baking tray.
My last decision is whether to paint the inside black to absorb heat or to line the inside with tin foil to reflect the light?
Any physicists out there who could tell me what to do?

In theory, bottom black sides shiny (white or I stuck on tinfoil). In practice, more important is to have a nice dark conducting base to rest the wax on: I use an old roasting tin. It sounds like your setup will work well.

Latest posts

Back