Hive record sheets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
I have searched here and on the search engines but can't really find the hive record sheets I'm looking for (no, I'm not sure what I'm looking for but I'll know when I see it).

Can someone point me in the direction of some hive record sheets that they use?

Decide what you need to record. Table in word add headings and off you go. I found most of the internet ones not worth bothering with. Load of carp.
For me its'
Reason for inspection?
Queen seen?
Eggs seen?
Queen cells seen?
Frames of brood (used mainly in spring to assess build up, ignored rest of time).
Weather?
Temper?
Notes...i.e needs another super. Brood boxes clogged with stores.etc

Last edited:
I have searched here and on the search engines but can't really find the hive record sheets I'm looking for (no, I'm not sure what I'm looking for but I'll know when I see it).

I only have 5/6/7 colonies at the moment so i can remember what needs doing.. when i had one hive i wrote everything down and it means nothing to me these day's..

Yes, that's wonderful, thank you.

I did start by using a notebook but since I had a swarm, then I recoverd it and put it in a new box, then I have three queenless colonies that are in the process of re-queening, then there is varroa control....

I thought I was doing ok keeping it in my head at first but even with a few notes I am slowly losing track of where I am, especially with the queen timimg. Plus I am starting an out-apiary in the next few months so it can only get worse.

That’s a good example. I downloaded one from the BBKA’s website. However I am going to produce a spreadsheet that has a row for each BB frame starting from the Dummy board. I will then be able to reference what each frame is allocated for, ie Brood, stores, drawn and undrawn foundation. The one that is quoted above will be great when I get some more experience. :)

Just make your own. It will then be your fault if it is wrong. Easily modified, too. Not exactly rocket science - there are loads of blank table formats available somewhere on most computers standard files, even. Not a difficult task.

See my hive record here https://tinyurl.com/ybw4wfba This is based on the BBKA record card.

BIPCo / BIBBA record cards downloadable from web page are good, although some of the information like so many others on line may seems superfluous for most hobbyists.
A colony record card in the hive roof in a plastic sleeve is invaluable.

See you at the Liskeard show.. Saturday??

BIPCo / BIBBA record cards downloadable from web page are good, although some of the information like so many others on line may seems superfluous for most hobbyists.
A colony record card in the hive roof in a plastic sleeve is invaluable.

See you at the Liskeard show.. Saturday??

I'll share my sad life!
Day before inspection- in bed at night- I go through my ring binder with my record sheets taking special care not to get propolis on the bed linen:
Slide1.jpg
Slide2.jpg
These are printed on double sided paper and has enough room for a season's records.
Slide3.jpg (For reference)

From the colonies records I make a note (in column inspection notes) of what needs doing for each hive in that apiary which is then use to record the findings at the apiary. Keeps the original clean and legible.
bee record notes jpeg.jpg (sorry the labels got rotated)

Later I update this into the ring binder.
Good record keeping makes life soooooooooo much easier.

Records have mostly unnecessary data.
Important is that you remember do necessary works and date.

When I/we started, I started a daily diary in a word document which I wrote up every time some thing happened as well as the inspections. I also added photos of brood frames of note and the inevitable pics of myself up a tree collecting swarms.
Being only a small scale participant in the beekeeping game, I/we found it interesting to go back and see the cockups and high points that occurred.
I think one can swamp oneself with too much information, the grin needs to be foremost.

Latest posts

Back