Hive Insulation - October BBKA News

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure but if there are a lot of people in your living room it can become quite stuffy and hot after a short time and if you open a window you can feel the cold air around your feet as you can expect as cold air is heavier than hot air. Now apply that to a hive with a top entrance will give fresh oxygenated air falling to the bottom of the hive whilst the top remained warm, if you use open OMF that's a different kettle of fish. Size of top hole is an important factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The air in upper part of window goes out and in lower part it comes in.

In the hive air flows out from upper entrance.

How do you explain that carbon dioxide does not sink to lawn level ? Why it is spread all around the atmosphere?

Because it is in a open environment silly, :sos: , in a hive it is a confined space, i have worked in confined spaces and we need to do a confined space test and get a certificate, we then need to use a CO2 meter several hours before entry and also have a Co2 meter near by with a look out man outside with a hand held cb radio incase the co2 kills us, that is also in a confined space in the bottom of a vessel.

i have worked in confined spaces and we need to do a confined space test and get a certificate, we then need to use a CO2 meter several hours before entry and also have a Co2 meter near by with a look out man outside with a hand held cb radio incase the co2 kills us, that is also in a confined space in the bottom of a vessel.

When I started in the job - confined space procedure on ships was much more exact - we left our caps next to the tank manhole or hatch and whistled to let people know we were still conscious!!

Perhaps - but I think 'they're trying to tell us something' might also just be a convenient cliché we tend to repeat.

They'll store propolis where they find a convenient space. That's what they do when you put a propolis screen above their heads, and that's what they're doing in my new Abelo hives. The crownboards have five holes each with ventilation screens that can be blocked with polystyrene - and although I've kept the holes blocked, they fill the ventilation screens with propolis.

They don't store propolise ... they just use it to seal up anything they consider should be sealed - usually to prevent drafts - perhaps your polystyrene does not meet their level of sealing ?

We all in Finland use insulated hives, but we get huge debating about materials and structures, which are the best in the world. If somebody is elected " a beekeeper of the year", everybody should throw into fire his hive furnitures and buy new ones.

So, the furnitures which I have used succesfully 30 years, are one day hah hah haa rubbish. This way it has been decades among beekeepers.

And then "the beekeeper of the year" suddenly informs that he has not insulation the hives at all:" Sell your property and follow me".

That is the way it goes...inner covers, floors, ventilation, insulation material, wind protection, upper entrances... 50 years same debating and new innovations.
No one has asked scientic help to that debating, so far. "Me" is enough.

Last edited:
Not a member. WBKA. Can somebody pm me their username and password so that I can have a gander. Promise no abuse of the information.

So you just want to rip off someone else's membership......you want to have the benefit of the information without paying for it...

So you just want to rip off someone else's membership......you want to have the benefit of the information without paying for it...

Oh....dear, that was completely uncalled for, and if you knew me you would realise that even without a suitable emoticon the comment was tongue in cheek.
Most of us are friends here and we share. When I lost bees last winter two people gave me bees...free.We help each other out.
It's not a question of ripping anybody off so don't be so judgemental. I simply wanted to look at one article which I have and that's the end of it.

As for getting things one doesn't pay for....pots and kettles come to mind

Last edited:
Read pages 40 - 46 of Bill Bielby's Home Honey Production and listen to what people on here are telling you.

It's a free to read on line:

https://archive.org/stream/Home_Honey_Production/Home_Honey_Production_djvu.txt

I like the philosophy just visible through the OCR... (see thread on "Hobby" v "Amateur" http://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38147)

1, \ , to improve the quality" of life • \
Zi "to 1 provide an, Interesting and'rewarding leisure activity
3. to produce financial savings , '• ' .„ • »»>^. • ■

<ADD> p 41 has a section on making foundation moulds out of "Kaffa Dee". I suppose now it's just silicone rubber but anyone remember and can describe Kaffaa Dee? (and the smell of GripFix - mmmm....)

Last edited:

Desperate for something to say and have to display your self righteousness? There was a reasonable and very polite request made for minor assistance. If you were unwilling or unable to help why not leave it at that?

Oh....dear, that was completely uncalled for, and if you knew me you would realise that even without a suitable emoticon the comment was tongue in cheek.
Most of us are friends here and we share. When I lost bees last winter two people gave me bees...free.We help each other out.
It's not a question of ripping anybody off so don't be so judgemental. I simply wanted to look at one article which I have and that's the end of it.

As for getting things one doesn't pay for....pots and kettles come to mind

:iagree: Strange why people make silly comments like that !!!

Because it is in a open environment silly, :sos: , in a hive it is a confined space, i have worked in confined spaces and we need to do a confined space test and get a certificate, we then need to use a CO2 meter several hours before entry and also have a CO2 meter near by with a look out man outside with a hand held cb radio incase the CO2 kills us, that is also in a confined space in the bottom of a vessel.
The bees are in a vessel with an bottom opening which is very different for CO2 and they are equiped with SCVA (Self Contained Ventilating Aparatus) :)

oh and they dont lose conciousness until ~60% CO2 unlike humans at 10%

Czekońska, K. (2009). The effect of different concentrations of carbon dioxide (CO2) in a mixture with air or nitrogen upon the survival of the honey bee (Apis mellifera). Journal of Apicultural Research, 48(1), 67–71. http://doi.org/10.3896/IBRA.1.48.1.13

Last edited:
Back