Asian hornets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically, adding wax to shot makes it a single projectile & turns it into section 1 ammo - illegal on a shotgun licence in UK.

I'd go for SG/OO buck shot, but would opt for the Remington buffered 8-ball through a 1/2 or Modified choke. At 20 yards this gives about a 6" pattern & is very accurate & consistant. A couple of rounds would rip the nest to pieces. Solid slug would just punch a single hole (albeit a large one) through the nest.

I'd also shoot from inside a car with very fast electric windows!

Last edited:
believe that arboriculturalists use rifles to bring down seed cones and material for cuttings.

You'd have to do that a looong way from anyone else - shooting skywards with a rifle is generally frowned upon because you have no idea where the bullet will end up.

I'd get 2 mates, 3x Section 1 semi-autos and give it 15 rounds of something like #5. Then I would run like hell!

section 1 ammo - illegal on a shotgun licence in UK

Technically and factually. Less than 6 projectiles in the load. Yes. But is this target not in France? Too far to hit it from this side of the channel so only a hypothetical consideration. In France, I am sure there are many who ignore the rules and regulations.

IMO a 12 guage is more than lethal enough at short range (without that sort of trick). I always considered my rifle as somewhat less 'dangerous' than a close range accident with a shotgun. Both can kill but the rifle is less likely to destroy large amounts of tissue as a shotgun can.

Regards, RAB

section 1 ammo - illegal on a shotgun licence in UK

Technically and factually. Less than 6 projectiles in the load. Yes. But is this target not in France? Too far to hit it from this side of the channel so only a hypothetical consideration. In France, I am sure there are many who ignore the rules and regulations.

IMO a 12 guage is more than lethal enough at short range (without that sort of trick). I always considered my rifle as somewhat less 'dangerous' than a close range accident with a shotgun. Both can kill but the rifle is less likely to destroy large amounts of tissue as a shotgun can.

Regards, RAB

No special licence for slug at all in France, I've seen it for sale in a garage shop there!

Latest posts

Back