Historical honey yields, UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxnatbees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
I read in BBKA News that the annual honey survey shows an average crop per hive in the 20 to 30 pound region.

It strikes me that if you knew the yield per hive in, say, 1940 to 1950 you could get a good idea of the impact of agricultural changes in the UK since that period. This would make a good graph to show people in presentations to illustrate the pressure bees are under.

I realise there are other factors like new pests. And you could only go back to the introduction of framed hives because comparing skeps with framed hives would be very questionable. However it would still be interesting and generally informative. I've seen occasional anecdotes and boasts about massive crops from someone's hive in old stories but you need a lot of hives over a wide area for proper comparisons.

I've been unable to locate such large scale surveys before about 2012 (from the BBKA). Does anyone know of statistically significant results from before that, over a wide geographical area?

In Britain the most important factor is, how many hives share the same pasture and how far the foragers must fly. Too many hives out there. It can be seen in London.

And modern hives are 2-3 times bigger than 50 y ago.

It can be seen in London.

A few years ago some were saying on here that London could never be over populated with bees, don't know where they got that notion from.

A few years ago some were saying on here that London could never be over populated with bees, don't know where they got that notion from.

Most of beekeepers cannot see connection between yield and pastures.
The common idea is a busy colony - a lazy colony.

Most I am surprised about NZ average yield 30 kg/hive. ........ and 40 hives in one spot!

Last edited:
Statistics British Isles

Google
files/pressreleases/bbka_honey_survey_2012_national_press_release_1351590319.pdf

Last edited:
The only differences I can see is that Towns and Cities are fast enchroaching on the countryside. Five billion pounds to be spent on 25,000 homes have got to go somewhere.

Statistics British Isles

Google
files/pressreleases/bbka_honey_survey_2012_national_press_release_1351590319.pdf

The problem with stastics like that is that 50% of beekeepers aren't in the BBKA so Bee farmers and the 50% aren't asked and new hobby beekeepers just starting up are more likely to fill them in

i had 10 production colonies in 2013 located in north london and got 80lbs to 120lbs per colony yet the Stats for london where my hives are says about 18lbs per hive

it not the weather or forage it is the Beekeeper

it not the weather or forage it is the Beekeeper

Yes, but same beekeepers gets in different locations 40 lbs, 80 lbs, 300 lbs

with same hives. And distance between those locations are only 5 km. But again, it is a beekeeper who puts his hives in those locations.

If you have all hives in same point, you know nothing about differencies in pastures.

The only differences I can see is that Towns and Cities are fast enchroaching on the countryside. Five billion pounds to be spent on 25,000 homes have got to go somewhere.

That is true. Cities have more homes than countryside.

I agree the beekeeper must know what to do, but good forage is also essential. I also did well with hives in N. London (Cricklewood). But I remember that as well as the many local gardens there Hampstead Heath, Kenwood, Golders Hill and Brent reservoir park etc were all within range.
I didn't do so well in Camberwell...

In Britain the most important factor is, how many hives share the same pasture and how far the foragers must fly. Too many hives out there. It can be seen in London.

And modern hives are 2-3 times bigger than 50 y ago.

I've recently found a new apiary site, when looking around the farm, particularly near the orchard where they were going to go, the farmer mentioned that his neighbouring farmer had allowed a beekeeper to site a couple of hives on his land and asked me if it would matter, I said it depends on how many so we looked around the hedge, on the other side (clearly put there to take advantage of the orchard owned by my farmer) were over Twenty hives! Needless to say I didn't go for that site, especially as there are no big crops such as OSR nearby and the orchard isn't that big, I don't think they can be doing very well with such high numbers with the available forage?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back