Future bee keeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philip, you are constantly discrediting anything Millet's posts.
Any hidden agendas we should be aware of???

That's not true .. If you check out the thread on his entrance blocks ...I was actually suggesting they could be used with some modification on my Paynes Polys.

I only comment as I see it from my viewpoint. As I do with anyone whose advice I disagree with. I'm not the only one in this thread that thinks bees on an allotment (and some of us have tried it !) is a bad idea for a beginner.

And as for Millet .. I thought he was ignoring my posts ... strikes me that you are dabbling in it ?

Nigel, you are constantly discrediting anything Pargyle posts.
Any hidden agendas we should be aware of??? ;)

This isn't a discussion forum any more, it's simply a madhouse. No wonder most of the serious respected beekeepers have already left.

Last edited:
This is the welcome section

I think the same rules apply here as in the beginners
I think the OP has got his answers and even he agrees that maybe allotment beekeeping is not the best idea at present
Now stop fighting!

Over the years of the forum, it has sadly turned out that people who start out on allotments, whether highly experienced or not end up having to move out. Not all I agree, but is it not the exception that proves the rule?

I always advise against it for this very reason. Or if they insist that all will be well that they have another site prepared for the inevitable move.

PH

Hey guys, thanks for all your input , I'm reading my way through the forums, I appreciate all comments on here whether some agree or not, I have decided I wont place bees on my plot till I gain experience, and even then if I feel I will be hassled i might just keep them elsewhere, I'm sorry if my post has stirred up some angst, it's not what I wanted, but not everyone sees eye to eye in this world but a common hobby is a good place for good constructive criticism if not we would never learn new things and progress! 😊, I look forward to speaking to you in other threads!

Regards
Gary

Hey guys, thanks for all your input , I'm reading my way through the forums, I appreciate all comments on here whether some agree or not, I have decided I wont place bees on my plot till I gain experience, and even then if I feel I will be hassled i might just keep them elsewhere, I'm sorry if my post has stirred up some angst, it's not what I wanted, but not everyone sees eye to eye in this world but a common hobby is a good place for good constructive criticism if not we would never learn new things and progress! ��, I look forward to speaking to you in other threads!

Regards
Gary

It's a forum .. you can expect divergent views and you have to accept and respect other people's ideas. It's not a place for those of a sensitive disposition and those who take offence when their position is criticised in any way. There is a beginners section which is more heavily moderated than the general forum and we are supposed to play nicely there ..

As always in beekeeping there is always more than one right way to do anything and the process of considering, contemplating and then making your own decision about what you feel is the best course of action is actually one of the joys of beekeeping - more so if you get it right ! The one big variable that we all face is the bees .. they will always surprise you.

Gary
Don’t worry about stirring anything up.
It’s a forum and was set up to be able to deal with issues that were heavily moderated elsewhere in earlier days ( probably still.... I never look in) we can expect robust replies here as people are passionate about their hobby and living.
Sometimes egos come into play but, hey, that’s life.
Enjoy your bees

Gary
Don’t worry about stirring anything up.
It’s a forum and was set up to be able to deal with issues that were heavily moderated elsewhere in earlier days ( probably still.... I never look in) we can expect robust replies here as people are passionate about their hobby and living.
Sometimes egos come into play but, hey, that’s life.
Enjoy your bees

Egos are like cars... often they are disproportionate to some parts of the owners anatomy!

Last edited:
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/blog.php?b=13357
Read this. It is part one of a series. It highlights a few pitfalls. Bees and passing public do not mix. A few flowers in an allotment are not sufficient for a hive of bees but a hive of bees within a three mile radius will still visit.
I applaud your keenness but worry about what might happen. Being up close to bees is a little different to your memories too so try and get some hands on experience asap.
Good luck however it turns out and let us know how it goes
I really don't want to put you off!
E

What an excellent post Eric, it made me smile and brought back a few memories that made me shudder. So much truth in it.
I'm sure it's the same for most of us who got past the second year, and came to the understanding that even if we can't control them we can increasingly understand our bees. Carrying out my first successful splits was the moment where I felt like I was just winging it.

Back