high winds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countryman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
couple
check your hives this morning i have checked some of my hives this morning only to find one with the lid completley blown off lying about 30 feet away with the crown board even further away got a spare lid on asap as other was smashed didnt checked just got them covered but in doing so could see some movement inside under supers but will have to wait and see when weather clears up

One of my nightmares!
I have been known to get out of bed and into the field with torch in hand to check the boxes :rolleyes:
I hope yours are OK, countryman

I went out last night at 10pm tied mine down as the wind was high not much shelter were they are need the rain to stop to get some more feed in not been a good last few days re wind rain is it ever going to stop

Off to check mine in 20 minutes, I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of them turned over. Not looking forward to it as the winds were so strong they kept me awake most of the night.:mad:

glad mine are in the back garden, sheltered from the winds by trees and fences

Just checked on most exposed hives and added a strap to one, (other already had one). Glad had 150mm deep roofs and bricks ontop as gale force winds and driving rain.

A few bees trying to fly with inevitable ending!!!

Field virtually a swamp.

Did A/S last Friday and praying for better "mating flight" weather next week.

Soaking wet but back home and will be pouring a glass or two....:cheers2:

had a brick on top the top still went from the front of the garage over a trio of three hives over the kitchen on the back of the garage into the garden out at 5 this morning putting new lid on strongesh hive with7 frames so hopefuly ok hoping they grouped together to stay warm not much rain then so hpoefully stayed dry but the crown board found in next doors even further away chucked some soft set honey in to feed and waiting to warm weather to check had strap on the one next to it as got supers on that so stack a bit high but this one was only a brood

Hives fine but had to lash down the roof of the hay barn which had a couple of tin sheets starting to crash about. Large cattle hurdle now on roof! Thank you ladder....and second pair of hands :)

No real problems here, apart from a snapped fence post that was probably rotten anyway.

I did spend part of last week fixing gutters on a barn roof, ironically very close to a flood plain so I had to watch the water rising. It stopped rising before it got to the foot of the ladders.

A few trees down here today looks like I will be busy next few days.

A few trees down here today looks like I will be busy next few days.

Me too, just got back from Caerphilly.
Remove large flat roof ( 8m x 5m) from garden & road, peeled off like banana skin.

Russ

Thats why I put straps on all mine.
:iagree:

Might not be practical or cheap for everyone but I have straps on every hive. Originally it ws my intention for the winter but I see the benefit for using them all year round far out ways any cost / extra time required.

My hives are strapped up – bricks on also (belt and braces) :)

My hives are ok with a heavy brick on foof. Its the fence behind them I am worried about. I have had to prop it up with a wooden prop and tye the other side to the post as its coming away. Help. Have to get the OH out to sort it soon.

My hives are ok with a heavy brick on foof. Its the fence behind them I am worried about. I have had to prop it up with a wooden prop and tye the other side to the post as its coming away. Help. Have to get the OH out to sort it soon.

better to take the panel/s that are loose out / down now.
put right when the wind abates

Latest posts

Back