Hi from Suffolk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceni

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I've joined the forum because I have become desperately worried about the lack of honey bees over the last few years.

I have a 10 year old (and older) orchard in full bloom this year, but apart from a few solitary bumble bees and various flies, there are no honey bees at all… even on the hot day a day or two ago. We live surrounded by fields of wheat (this year) which are sprayed every few weeks with various fertilisers and pesticides.

Aware that there are few wild flowers around, I've got a flourishing little wild flower meadow full of clover and other nectar-rich plants as well as the orchard, but last year it was almost silent, when in other years it was humming with various insects — we also had NO fruit last autumn. I put it down to the horrendous weather last May 2012, but there have been quite a few warm days this year but still no bees.

Has anyone else noticed a similar problem?

:welcome:
Maybee because there aren't any beekeepers near you?

hi and welcome
put a hive in your orchard, and a couple of chairs , a table and a bottle of wine ,cheese and bread watching the bees bliss

And if you don't want to manage a hive or two I bet it would not take someone long to except an offer to put a hive in your orchard.

Welcom to the forum.

:welcome:
Maybee because there aren't any beekeepers near you?

I know of a couple — one's about half a mile away as the bee flies and the other a mile away.

There used to be some hives kept in a small wood fairly nearby a couple of hundred yards away, but he's removed all his hives. Shame as right next to it there's a set aside field full of pink campion flowers which should have been humming with bees, but I couldn't see a single one on Thursday when it was warm and sunny here with next to no wind. This was what worried me.

The other I might call in on today to ask her. But isn't it too late to relocate bee hives? I thought they had to be in position when they come out of their winter dormancy. I need some educating… not worthy

Last edited:
And if you don't want to manage a hive or two I bet it would not take someone long to except an offer to put a hive in your orchard.

Welcom to the forum.

Thank you.

This is what I'm hoping. My husband doesn't want to spend £500 getting the kit on a hobby about which we know very little or go on a course… we'd rather learn by observation, to see whether we'd be capable first.

I became a beekeeper for the same reason - I never saw a honeybee in my garden, and I also wanted to see if pollination would improve. A honey harvest wasn't (isn't) my priority.

Moving hives is dependent on distance rather than time of year - a colony must be moved more than 3 miles, or less than 3 feet :) - bees have a "homing" instinct, for want of a better term.

Fields of wheat don't yield any forage for bees - what else is there, (e.g Oil Seed Rape, willow/hazel?)

I became a beekeeper for the same reason - I never saw a honeybee in my garden, and I also wanted to see if pollination would improve. A honey harvest wasn't (isn't) my priority.

Moving hives is dependent on distance rather than time of year - a colony must be moved more than 3 miles, or less than 3 feet :) - bees have a "homing" instinct, for want of a better term.

Fields of wheat don't yield any forage for bees - what else is there, (e.g Oil Seed Rape, willow/hazel?)

Yes lots of crack willow (a small wood next door) and there's what was an old hazel coppice 100 yards away down the track near a stream.

We've got the orchard with about 10 youngish trees, and a massive old apple tree covered in blossom atm. I've also got about 1/8 acre of wild flower meadow area which has ox-eye daisies, hawksbit, knapweed, clover, yellow rattle, zillions of dandelions and currently cowslips and cow parsley. I forgot the wild roses which should be out soon in first week of June.

I've been told about the June or July (?) gap — when there's not much around. In the garden proper I've only put in bee-friendly plants like lavenders and alliums, old fashioned roses and we have lots of buddleas later on etc.

This year's field crops are mainly wheat, but next year the rape will be back. It might be in the fields the other side of the lane this year, but I haven't had time to check.

I had made the exact same comment about our apple trees. Normally "alive" with bees when in full bloom - nothing this year - and I mean - nothing.

I've managed to get a swarm for my hive now - so hopefully will start to rectify the situation.

Hi there Eric
Clearly my bees do not travel the 2 miles from my house to yours!

My orchard is rarely visited by my honey bees as they are usually on OSR at that time.

See you in the Greyhound some time?
Cazza

P.S You might like to pop to Dickleburgh sea scout hut on Monday (8th) 7.00p.m. for a Dicklebees bee support group meeting. Really friendly people.

Back