Hi and help on hive selection, to polyhive or not and what's wrong with langstroths!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PH, you couldn't hammer 11 hoffmans into mine, it's a case of almost but not quite. 10 with a dummy board and a nice amount of room.

visit a few experienced beekeepers locally with nationals, 14x12, langstroth in wood and poly. Get a feel for their kit before you decide and buy your own.

I went langstroth based on hive capacity and it works well for my bees.

i like the idea of Smith.

does anywhere sell a poly smith hive?

I've heard that a Langstroth can be slightly easier to handle if you have back issues. Despite its capacity, it is slightly narrower one way than a national, so your reach across is easier and it keeps more of the weight nearer your body.
They are also easier to make from scratch if you intend to make your own.

I have a couple swarm that will take the 11. But that is 2 out of near 30.

PH

A poly brood box is the same price as a second quality wooden box in a 14x12 format, build the floor crown board and roof yourself and you have the complete hive at a fraction of the price of a new wooden hive. Don't listen to stuck in the mud association members who probably leave holes in their crown boards for ventilation. Nothing wrong with langs but if you plan to get a nuc I think your choices will be limited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

REDWOOD;577013 Nothing wrong with langs but if you plan to get a nuc I think your choices will be limited. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE said:
I sell a couple of Lang nucs every year with no difficulty - so agree..

Maismore's do National, 14x12, & Commercial, in poly. They also do feeders to suit. Plus ekes if you change your mind and change from National to 14x12.

I've read that the quality of runners on maisemore boxes isn't great and that they aren't compatible with wooden supers?

I've read that the quality of runners on maisemore boxes isn't great and that they aren't compatible with wooden supers?

There are grooves in the boxes that take the same metal runners as the wooden boxes.
The wooden supers will fit on poly deep boxes but they look wrong, and roof would need strapping down.
Why would you buy wooden supers when the poly supers are the same price, or often cheaper?

Do the runners come with them or do they need to be bought separately? Will castellated runners fit on the maisemore poly ? Excuse the Spanish inquisition by the way!

I bought my runners off eBay, try Simon the Beekeeper. Yes the castellated runners fit too.
No problem about the questions, it's the only way to find out.:)

Maisees 'deal' wooden supers ... 13 quid at the convention last year (no idea if the price has gone up) I've not seen a poly super that cheap.

I've recently received an email from Maises. 2nd quality super £8.50 plus postage. Can't copy the link as I'm using my tablet and I'm a numpty and cannot c&p. :blush5:

Last edited:
Sorry, I have read all this thread. Is there more sales coming up? I'm in need of BB and if the price is near the price I make them at I'll buy second.

Latest posts

Back