What Extractor to buy?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the replies so far, i really appreciate the info.
I have problems with my lungs so a manual extractor isnt an option sadly, and i can imagine extracting 50+ frames manually 2-4 at a time would be hell.
I'd rather pay more now for something steel parts than deal with plastic, i can also weld it with the TIG if anything breaks.
What just occurred to me is that although having a large electric extractor is a boon. Make sure you can get it through door frames especially if you move it to do the extraction.
I would have to remove a leg of my Konigin 12 frame if I wanted to get it out of my honey room which would be a pain if you had to do it every extraction.

@Corbeehives
Just a thought, given where you are based are you a member of a beekeeping association? Our local association has 3 Thornes electric extractors and we hire out to members at £5 a time (extra for more than 2 days). May give you a chance to try before you buy, or even save the space at home & hire ongoing, given the v low hire cost.

Yes, we do still make our own range of extractors.
That's true, Gill, but only in plastic. The conversation of comparison has revolved so far around stainless steel, and although Thomas are excellent extractors, only Konign are within the OP's price range (especially as the Thorne sale is on).

@Corbeehives
Just a thought, given where you are based are you a member of a beekeeping association? Our local association has 3 Thornes electric extractors and we hire out to members at £5 a time (extra for more than 2 days). May give you a chance to try before you buy, or even save the space at home & hire ongoing, given the v low hire cost.
Yours hire them out, that's a fast!!
We can borrow from ours with out no charge.
Interesting that.

@Corbeehives I bought my first extractor this year which is a Konigin machine from Thornes. This was after five years of hiring a 4 frame manual tangential from the local association. I've typed up a bit of a review here of it Konigin Machines

Albeit it's a 20 frame one, I'd still recommend Konigin equipment. Thornes do have the Konigin extractors in their winter sale, including smaller models closer to your budget Sale Extractors

Treacle Town?
Interesting: both Nuneaton and Macclesfield have that name.

Nuneaton origin is that either people were thick, reluctant to leave or because time moved slowly: the 18thC poet William Hutton visited Nuneaton and described the town as being in the ‘dominion of sleep’. There's a description of Nuneaton life on craptowns and here at ilivehere.co.uk/nuneaton-treacle-town is a description truly unsuitable for those with the disposition of an 18thC poet.

Macclesfield looks more upmarket, though don't get excited because in 2005 it was labelled the least cultured place in Britain, which must have taken some doing. Apparently a cartload of treacle fell over in the ancient days of yore, and the name is still used by a Midlands R&B band, a barbers, the Macclesfield Treacle Market and the Treacle Town Pie Company, which looks inviting.

Office job? 🤔😁
50/50.. I spend half my time processing quotes, drawing plans, chasing materials, payments. And the other 50% out on site, on the tools.. My hands are half soft.

You can take off the handle with a manual extractor and put a drill on it. We found the rechargeable’s were a lot better than the plug in electric, and didn’t burn out. But, if you want an electric extractor, go for it, I only extract from between 4-6 hives and if I didn’t have someone to spin it out for me I would also get an electric extractor. It will make life easier for you if you’re working on your own. I can’t recommend one, but would be interested to know which one you buy and what you think of it. Maybe in the future.......

Latest posts

Back