|Here's a lesson for the over-confident

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
Today I put my in newly-crafted tunnel entrances as per Millets design as there is a lot of wasp activity.

Only be a few seconds methinks so no need to go stupid on the dressing up front. So there I am, wearing my bee suit and a thin pair of gloves and precious little else. Went first to my grumpiest hive and pulled out the old entrance block with new entrance block in hand. 'Out then in' think I. Old one out ...and the bees storm out like there was a sale at Harrods except the sale is my feet. I was wearing thin trainers, 'hey, they hardly ever get your feet, do they'. Wrong, oh so wrong. My feet get stung about 10 times through my trainers, they get up my legs both outside and inside so I get stung on my legs too. I run for the greenhouse to escape and they come with me -- those wasps must have really wound them up. A couple more stings and I am clear of them.

I retreated to the house and got dressed for war as the new entrance block was still sticking out and needed proper placement. Sweat shirt, jeans, wellies, the works. Went back and it's like they had taken sleeping pills. I put the entrance in properly without so much as a buzz from them.

I do wish I knew what goes on in a hives' head.

Did the other two hives without problems but then I did have a smoker going this time (no, I didn't the first time).

So there, lesson learned. Don't get complacent when it comes to bees and dress appropriately every single time as you can never be sure what they are going to do.

So there, lesson learned. Don't get complacent when it comes to bees and dress appropriately every single time as you can never be sure what they are going to do.

Other lesson is don't do things to (or inspect) your worst hive first...always leave until last. Reason.... their "defensive" behaviour can rub off on your better behaved hives making it all very unpleasant.

Last edited:
You're having fun...didnt you get like properly mullered by a wave of grumpies earlier in the summer whilst trimming the hedge?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

You're having fun...didnt you get like properly mullered by a wave of grumpies earlier in the summer whilst trimming the hedge?
That's Cornish Amm's for you :) Shiny has recently been extolling the virtues of keeping defensive bees.
I'll say no more...

Last edited:
Think the hedge trimming was a beek who packed up keeping bees after their experience of mass stings... it must knock your confidence when that happens....

Don't worry we all do it and we still don't learn!

Same as yours. This is the second time you have been stung badly if I recall correctly.

Correct. I'm starting to enjoy it, not! And in answer to another post, the grumpy hive can expect a new queen in the spring despite my belief that grumpy bees provide more honey. I have quite a gentle hive and I shall put all my efforts into getting that one through the winter so I can spread that queens joy amongst the rest of my hives -- may she provide for many QC's.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Wasn't me but it's only the hedge-trimming bit that differs.

Other lesson is don't do things to (or inspect) your worst hive first...always leave until last. Reason.... their "defensive" behaviour can rub off on your better behaved hives making it all very unpleasant.

So true but it's only natural to try to get the bad one out of the way first. I shall endeavour to change my ways...and my queen.

I hear Hivemaker has some nice queens.

What would I know?... His bees are not Amm..

... stripey hybrids supplied by the Local duo the Giggle Twins apparently.

:calmdown: :sifone:They've requeened themselves at least twice since then, I expect the original line of descent has become a little muddled by external drones by now.

:calmdown: :sifone:They've requeened themselves at least twice since then, I expect the original line of descent has become a little muddled by external drones by now.
Yes...almost certainly it has.
Depending on whether the original queen was from a pure strain or open mated that would probably make them 75% or 87.5% native genes by now....and their true colours are showing :). I'll bet the current bees and queen look much blacker than her grandparents did.

Yes...almost certainly it has.
Depending on whether the original queen was from a pure strain or open mated that would probably make them 75% or 87.5% native genes by now....and their true colours are showing :). I'll bet the current bees and queen look much blacker than her grandparents did.

Where Shiney keeps his bees... the Yellow side of the A390.. there is quite a few other keepers of bees residing in that neck of the woods.. :spy: (some of whom meself is acquainted with) that I know are keeping ( Imported) so called .... Buckfasts.......
and the Amm Virgins would not even give them stripeydrones a second look:icon_204-2:

Shiny where are you getting these bees from? I have 3 hives one in Truro 2 in the roseland area I’ve done splits and let them raise there own queens and could go gloveless if I wanted to. I think it’s time for you to get even and knock these aggressive bees on the head I can do an inspection without a sting as I’m sure many others do it’s time to join the party!!

Back