|Here's a lesson for the over-confident

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They sound quite advanced although overthinking a problem compared to some.
I was talking to lady last who has just taken up the fine hobby and she was astounded that I didn't have a nice through draft through the hive all winter as her local association had advised to prevent dampness.
After quite a long chat she is now out shopping for a poly hive.

The BBKA was founded in 1874 and sometimes it shows :D

Thanks for all the comments. I have had a sleepless night trying to come to terms with the stupid mess I have created and now need to figure out how to rectify it. As was mentioned, I over thought it and need to get the board back out without creating the angry swarm I got yesterday. Probably smoking the entrance to get them off the board. ��

Move the whole hive aside.
Put a new floor down
Lift brood over

Move the whole hive aside.
Put a new floor down
Lift brood over
Thanks EricA. The board is visible so I think I can get it out without moving the BB. I just want to get them to relax and not think that they are constantly under threat. They really got angry yesterday and rightly so. :(

Thanks EricA. The board is visible so I think I can get it out without moving the BB. I just want to get them to relax and not think that they are constantly under threat. They really got angry yesterday and rightly so. :(

The current weather will not help either Mike.. i have several colonies here that are like babies normally but with the combination of wasps trying there luck and the thunders storms looming in the distance has made them all a tad defensive.. i got stung myself on Saturday for the first time of one of the gentle colonies.

The current weather will not help either Mike.. i have several colonies here that are like babies normally but with the combination of wasps trying there luck and the thunders storms looming in the distance has made them all a tad defensive.. i got stung myself on Saturday for the first time of one of the gentle colonies.
Thanks Millet. I am hoping that the weather settles down by the weekend and I can sort out the mess I made.
I also need to make one of your tunnel entrances as part of the winter preparation so it will be mouse proof.

Back