Help with masonry bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwduser

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi there I am hoping someone can offer some advice for a non-bee keeper.

I live on the 3rd floor of a block of flats. I am fortunate enough to have a decent sized balcony. However yesterday I noticed a bunch of bees (about 4-5) hovering around my balcony door/window. They were pretty frantic yet I opened the door and interestingly enough they didn't want to come inside. Over the course of the day I noticed them flying close to and inside little holes between the brickwork. I also saw a bunch of the same bees floating near/in the bricks around my kitchen window (which is not accessible from outside unless someone has a very long ladder). This plus the fact they are quite orange/black and small lead me to think they are masonry/mortar bees and not honeybees.

I don't mind these bees when they're around the kitchen window because they don't seem to want to come inside. But when they're flying around the balcony it is not nice especially given the current nice weather and restrictions on going to public parks etc. Can anyone suggest a solution to remove them? There were similar bees last year when I had just moved in so I am guessing these are the offspring of those bees who had laid eggs in the holes.

They are nothing to worry about, watching them and taking some lovely pics would be a better idea.

I don't find pictures of bees appealing. Can they be moved or incentivised to leave somehow without harm?

They are mason bees and do not sting so ignore them. They are not interested in you. They have love on their minds.

They are not there for that long. In the winter you come block the holes up but they should be cherished.
I have loads in my walls. Never been a problem.
E

Ok thanks for the replies. Can anyone describe what their lifecycle is characterised by? At the moment some of them are exhibiting weird behavior. It does seem like a few are "following" the others - I'm guessing this is the males trying to find a mate? They also sometimes don't go inside the wall....they just hover near the external wall outside my window for ages without doing anything. If one comes inside my flat by accident they immediately try to get out which is quite funny.

I think we need to identify them. Are you sure they are masonry bees living in single holes or are they bumble bees that are using the holes to get into the cavity? Any chances of a photo
E

Here you are:

https://www.bumblebeeconservation.org/redmasonbee/

They are not a problem - they will be around during the summer but come the end of July they will be gone. Only the females survive for any length of time during the season and once summer is over the pupae will survive in a cocoon sealed up in the hole in the wall to emerge and start again next year.

If you don't want the same thing to happen next year but don't want to kill these lovely harmless creatures then you should invest a few pounds in a bug hotel - put that on your balcony and then gradually seal up the holes in the brickwork the bees are using (just screwed up bits of paper will be fine temporarily). The bees will use the bug hotel in preference and at the end of the season when they have stopped flying you can move it to somewhere more appropriate than your balcony - a friends garden perhaps ?

There are lots of them on Amazon and they will deliver to you - for a few pounds you will be helping an endagered species to thrive and survive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=bug+hotel&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

If you want to save a few pounds you could buy some bamboo canes and make your own.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HomeZone®-...id=1586595108&sprefix=bamboo+,aps,162&sr=8-10

I think we need to identify them. Are you sure they are masonry bees living in single holes or are they bumble bees that are using the holes to get into the cavity? Any chances of a photo
E

They are definitely not bumble bees. I'll upload a photo once i get the chance later today.

Here you are:

They are not a problem - they will be around during the summer but come the end of July they will be gone. Only the females survive for any length of time during the season and once summer is over the pupae will survive in a cocoon sealed up in the hole in the wall to emerge and start again next year.

Just read the description and found this interesting:

"Commonly found in urban environments, especially gardens and parks. They nest in existing holes or cavities, especially those in sunny south-facing locations. This includes cracks in mortar joints, window frames, air bricks, as well as natural cavities in bramble stems, dead wood and vertical cliff or soil faces."

This is exactly true for me. My kitchen window faces south east and every morning they are flying around there. Then as the sun moves to the west more and more fly to my balcony which is South West facing.

Just read the description and found this interesting:

"Commonly found in urban environments, especially gardens and parks. They nest in existing holes or cavities, especially those in sunny south-facing locations. This includes cracks in mortar joints, window frames, air bricks, as well as natural cavities in bramble stems, dead wood and vertical cliff or soil faces."

This is exactly true for me. My kitchen window faces south east and every morning they are flying around there. Then as the sun moves to the west more and more fly to my balcony which is South West facing.

There you are - masonry bees. There are over 270 different types of bee found in the UK. Beekeepers should do their best to encourage bio diversity. (Mosquitos excepted)

Latest posts

Back