Masonry bees coming down chimney flue

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hebz23

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Does anyone know how I can stop this?

I have two unused chimney's and have noticed masonry bees coming down from one of these the past few weeks. I know they are popular this time of the year, and will probably vacate in a few months (?)

At the moment I catch and release several daily, but ideally don't want them in my house at all, or to find dead bees unexpectedly if I didn't spot them soon enough!

The flues are currently blocked with chimney sheep's but several still somehow find their way in.

TIA.

Are you sure they are Mason bees and not honey bees ? Mason bees are not usually chimney dwellers whereas honey bees have quite a penchant for disused chimneys ... perhaps post a photo of the bees you are seeing ...

I'm 99% sure and I used google image to identify them. Didn't take any photos of them but will try tomorrow once more inevitably are spotted.

They have a round body and mainly look black, very ditzy and hardly fly, usually found crawling very slowly on the floors or near the doors/windows. Very easy to catch.

Are you sure they are Mason bees and not honey bees ? Mason bees are not usually chimney dwellers whereas honey bees have quite a penchant for disused chimneys ... perhaps post a photo of the bees you are seeing ...
They may well be tunnelling through mortar and dropping down.

I'm 99% sure and I used google image to identify them. Didn't take any photos of them but will try tomorrow once more inevitably are spotted.

They have a round body and mainly look black, very ditzy and hardly fly, usually found crawling very slowly on the floors or near the doors/windows. Very easy to catch.
A friend of mine had similar situation with mason bees falling into a fireplace in her dining room. On closer inspection the gable wall which the fireplace backed into had holes in the old lime mortar further up on the wall. Some attention with a pointing rake, trowel and some lime mortar saw an end to the problem.

A friend of mine had similar situation with mason bees falling into a fireplace in her dining room. On closer inspection the gable wall which the fireplace backed into had holes in the old lime mortar further up on the wall. Some attention with a pointing rake, trowel and some lime mortar saw an end to the problem.
Do you know who I should call to help with this? Seems like beekeepers aren't interested unless it's honey bees.

I'm okay with catching the few strays that fall down, but don't fancy sticking my head up the flue and dealing with it, as personally I'm quite squeamish when it comes to insects in general.

Seems like beekeepers aren't interested unless it's honey bees.
if it's in a chimney, they wouldn't be interested even if they were honeybees.
As mason bees are solitary bees, I wouldn't expect there to be too many there anyway. and what can anyone do about them?

Do you know who I should call to help with this? Seems like beekeepers aren't interested unless it's honey bees.

I'm okay with catching the few strays that fall down, but don't fancy sticking my head up the flue and dealing with it, as personally I'm quite squeamish when it comes to insects in general.
Mason bees don't build nests as such or live in colonies- they are solitary bees, they form a single nest in a hole or crack often in soft mortar in brickwork. A female works alone to build a single nest .. she mates with a male bee (Drone) and then lays her eggs in the tiny nest she has made. They look very much like honey bees - hence my original question.

Mason bees will only burrow in soft/lime mortar, many places built using it then had a cement weather joint over the lime mortar.
I’d suggest re pointing the areas affected or properly sealing the chimney/flu in the house, it’s obviously not properly done and your cheapest option.

Last edited:
Hi. We are starting our adventure with mason bees this year.. We have everything but it's late for cocoons. Looking for someone who may still have a few pieces. Regards

Last edited:
Cześć. W tym roku zaczynamy naszą przygodę z pszczołami murarkami.. Mamy wszystko, ale na kokony już za późno. Poszukuję osoby, która może mieć jeszcze kilka sztuk. Pozdrowienia
Hi. This year we are starting our adventure with red mason bees. We have everything, but it's too late for cocoons. I'm looking for someone who may have a few more. Regards

Hi. We are starting our adventure with mason bees this year.. We have everything but it's late for cocoons. Looking for someone who may still have a few pieces. Regards

Does anyone know how I can stop this?

I have two unused chimney's and have noticed masonry bees coming down from one of these the past few weeks. I know they are popular this time of the year, and will probably vacate in a few months (?)

At the moment I catch and release several daily, but ideally don't want them in my house at all, or to find dead bees unexpectedly if I didn't spot them soon enough!

The flues are currently blocked with chimney sheep's but several still somehow find their way in.

TIA.
If you live close by, I'd love to grab a pair you catch. If you don't want them, you'll probably have to wait until June. And then remove or brick up the place where they were. Red bricklayers are peaceful and will not sting.

Latest posts

Back