Help please,I need beekeeping support.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like many on the forum have sold nucs and queens to new beekeepers and obviously back it up with advice and help when required, you could give it a name but as many others will agree if the advice is right and the beekeepers gain experience and confidence the calls for help slow down and become calls to compare notes. There has been such a huge take up in beekeepeing this year and a lot of the experienced beeks are very busy with their own bees. Anyone seeking help on here would be able to be given more help if their location was not put as uk, the county is enough, it can make a world of difference.

This forum and its members have been my mentor. I read the books and researched on the net talked to as many beekeepers as i could joined my local association ( didn't manage to secure a place on the beginner's course) attended lectures then decided to get my first bees haven't had a mentor. made lots of mistakes and their just the ones i Know off probably made allot more. I think it has worked for me it wouldn't for every one. My point well were all different and learn in different ways. At least the bees seem to know what their doing. Thank you all!!

Last edited:
I think you are lucky to have had a mentor. I am new to bee-keeping this year. I attended the basic training and went to the club sessions for 8 weeks. I got my bees in June (5 frames and a 2 year old queen). I was told that they should be stable for the rest of the year. To manage them when required.

Before going on a 3 week holiday I asked what I should do and I was told they would be OK for 3 weeks but to make sure they had enough room. I came back in mid August and was greeted with 6 queen cells. Since then I have had two swarms (I captured one), I thought one colony became queenless, and have since combined the colonies. I have had 2 emails and one phone call from the person I got the bees from. I did feel I could not use him as a mentor as he provides bees to many in the club and would be pestered by lots of new beeks. The club I feel should have allocated a mentor to we new people. I would certainly look to be one in a few years time as I would be glad to pass on experiences and guide where needed.

To be fair to the club though I think numbers of new beeks as grown beyond their resources of mentors. I wrote to two beeks in my area but they both did not want to mentor. I do however feel abandoned. I have looked at the forum when I need help but I struggle with seeing often 3, 4, 5 or more different views on how people should solve a problem, it can be confusing. I tend to go back to Ted Hooper's book but with the knowledge of wider opinions, so the forum is useful.

So far I have struggled through but on reflection I think I have panicked and intervened too many times and probably made some horrendous mistakes (or learning experiences if you wish). My hope is that I done enough right things to see my single colony through to next year and be a better beek. A mentor would have been a great help though.

there are sometimes a number of solutions to a problem, most are right but the issues i generally see is that there are so many influences around a problem, and it can be difficult to offer a solution to a problem reported on these forums,

ie lack of info etc

You are finding you are learning as you go along - all i can suggest is listen to what people advise taking all the solutions on board and select 1 or 2 that best fits you and you are more comfortable with,
End of the day 'you' know your own hives and area better than someone else does

I cannot agree more with Beebreeder. My advice to someone in Aberdeenshire regarding what they might get away with compared to my advice to Essex would be very different.

Please change your profile so that those that are interested in helping can give appropriate comments.

PH

blackzfm,

Ask a simple question, stand back and see what you get! :)
If you questions haven't been answered, then get back to the forum. One question, and 27 replies. A lot better than your mentor!

can we not take the uk as location out of peoples profiles so they have to list area they are from! ?

the wife has pointed out whilst reading by soap box chat , that some people leave there mentors because they are an opinionated, big chined, lump with a waist line as big as his ideas, who is also a barking mad brummie,!!!!

dont know who she was talking about;););)

I haven't a clue who that could be. You do have a point though.
However blackzfm made the effort to post here for advice so I am sure is someone who wants to learn and would not abuse your efforts to train him - or her.

the wife has pointed out whilst reading by soap box chat , that some people leave there mentors because they are an opinionated, big chined, lump with a waist line as big as his ideas, who is also a barking mad brummie,!!!!

dont know who she was talking about;););)

lmao :smilielol5:

Is it only me who welcomes the return of the rotund opinionated brummie?

I've missed your postings pete.

With regards to mentors, after having a think, I seem to truely struck gold. This week he drove from the wilds of Bolton, down to Longsight, just to watch us put strips of Apilife in the brood box. It took all of 2 mins. We must get him something to say thank you, I will keep my eye out :)

I also look forward to the rotund one's postings. After watching some of his videos, I have learnt much :p Thanks Pete

Me think, lack of response from original poster may have something to do with their problem?
:cheers2:
S

My little response to Stiffy's comment would be to thank you all for writing your thoughts. I have read and learned from them. Thank you all for asking and answering these questions that to some must seem simple. But there are a lot of people like me who read and find the answers to our own questions.

Another point is that there are other sourses of info (as well as books)in the internet. Simply write a question in Google and you may find the answer. of some people like to see pics and video. Google "Linda bees Atlanta" Linda has recorded on video and word and pics so much activity it is really worth looking at.
Michael

My little response to Stiffy's comment would be to thank you all for writing your thoughts. I have read and learned from them. Thank you all for asking and answering these questions that to some must seem simple. But there are a lot of people like me who read and find the answers to our own questions.

Another point is that there are other sourses of info (as well as books)in the internet. Simply write a question in Google and you may find the answer. of some people like to see pics and video. Google "Linda bees Atlanta" Linda has recorded on video and word and pics so much activity it is really worth looking at.
Michael

Nice to see you are still there.

I am sure there is some good advice on Google but please remember:
Ask a simple question on this site and get 5 different answers but I am sure they will all be good answers.

Ask the same question on Google and you will get 1,000's of answers and many will be not worth a light !

Cheers
S

the two biggest issues i realy have teaching people, is more trying to find what they want to know and then to try a teach them it.

a classic sample is the fact that i have four differant hive types and plans for many more all of which i can build and fill with bees, just which hive do you want some dont know there fore they get a national some want a certain style, ie danant.

i also will change the teaching to what ever details they want, ie queens and breeding honey, wax, stock splitting and yes claire someone has come around and watch in detail as i pick varroa mits off bees, his answer to the process was that at the end of winter it is possible, not in autum tho.

I also GIVE ALL NEW BEEKS a loaned hive and nuc for twelve months ,

this allows someone new to trial whether they want to be a beek , rather than paying out hundreds of pounds to put the lot up for sale at a later date, i am always surprised by the amount of people each year that come to me and when asked if they are hypo to bee stings dont know, someone every year starts but for this reason is unable to continue

the one thing i do find very use full on this forum is that some people ask a question that i dont know the answer to and we get say 10 differant answers, this suits me as i then look or think about each answer and try to find the one that suits my needs the best, this i find all most as usefull as the search button

the think is raming blindly ideas down throats dont work for me. if i do or teach some thing i need to know why we do it, not the stock answer i was always given of " thats just the way we do "

also people do need to be flexable to teach, thats why i am lucky with the shed as i can teach at a set time now matter what the weather, sat morning at 9 am no problems here!!

I must point out that i dont teach every thing to everyone, most people just want one or at most two hives, they want to be able to inspect it and try to prevent swarming and a little honey extraction and thats about it, after the first year they set off on the thier own and apart from the odd email or phone call we just chat socialy, some people on the other hand soley come for a specific reason and only when i am doing what they want to see do they come over to me

Latest posts

Back