Hello

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello,

I'm Zac and very new to this wonderful pastime. I live in Plymouth, Devon and have wanted to keep bees for years. My dear wife, who having a massive phobia of all things flying that buzz, bought me a beautiful red cedar national last Xmas as a surprise. I've been trying to sort my garden and have yet to complete...However, ive run into an old friend in Launceston who has many acres, an orchard and a running stream on his property. So, this is where I want to set up my hive. I want 2 hives initially, so require another hive and 2 lots of bees. I'm looking forward to speaking to anyone who has the time to pass on their knowledge, experience and advice. Additionally, if anyone has bees or a hive for sale I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks in advance for your correspondence, kind regards

Zac

:hurray: hello and welcome to the forum , sounds like you could have a good setup orchard and streem , first bit of advice. find a local corse and a mentor if possable it all helps to make beekeeping enjoyable ... :rolleyes: ok less of a panic :smilielol5: good luck :seeya:

Hello and welcome. I would suggest that you wait till spring before purchasing bees now, its a bit late in the season to be starting as a newbee. Let someone else overwinter them and buy in spring.
Unless you can get a free late swarm in which case its worth a punt.

Welcome to the forum zacman - might be worth asking for mentorship here?
(Under the heading: Beekeeping Education - Mentorship Offered/Wanted)
:)

Welcome to the forum!

If you can make it, the Callington Honey Fair (Callington Town Hall, 3 October) might be a good opportunity to meet other - fairly near - beeks and possible acquire some useful stuff.

Welcome, do a course, read lots of books, visit other apiaries to gain hands on knowledge, and talk to us all the time lol, don't be afraid to ask questions we all started like you, there are many here to help you along and a few masters with spot on answers, we do not always agree and can get a bit heated but generally we do not bit and always here to help

Hi Zac
Welcome to the forum, we have a no commercial advertising policy on the forum but we can recomend, as Hivemaker is in your part of the world and I have some of his kit I can highly recomend that you PM him and go have a look at the product, you will not be dissappointed, the quality is excellent.
Kev

Hello,

I'm Zac and very new to this wonderful pastime. I live in Plymouth, Devon and have wanted to keep bees for years. My dear wife, who having a massive phobia of all things flying that buzz, bought me a beautiful red cedar national last Xmas as a surprise. I've been trying to sort my garden and have yet to complete...However, ive run into an old friend in Launceston who has many acres, an orchard and a running stream on his property. So, this is where I want to set up my hive. I want 2 hives initially, so require another hive and 2 lots of bees. I'm looking forward to speaking to anyone who has the time to pass on their knowledge, experience and advice. Additionally, if anyone has bees or a hive for sale I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks in advance for your correspondence, kind regards

Zac

Set your one hive up as a bait hive early next season and you might not have to buy any bees. If you live with lots of neighbours that might be the best place to set up your bait hive rather than a remote orchard. Also it will be easier to keep an eye on at home.
Good luck

Hi everyone and many thanks for the warm welcome and positive replies. I've booked myself a course early September and have a couple of books that I'm ploughing my way through. Despite the course and books, I think you cannot beat working with someone else and will definitely be looking for a mentor, after all I cannot justify wiping out a colony on the basis of my ignorance.

I've been reading many of the posts and can tell that this I'd the place to start with a mass of experience and support. I thank you all in advance for your support and patience. I look forward to talking to many of you in the future.

Thanks again

Zac

Thanks Poshpikey, I did negate to mention that my friend is as keen as me and will be taking the course etc...so I do believe that the bees will be well cared for...however, I have taken onboard your comments re bait hive and thank you for your time to reply. Everyone's advice is valuable to me. Thank you

Zac

Welcome!

Orchard - not ideal in itself. A very brief season, not providing much forage. Beeks usually ask for payment to site their hives there for polination, however it may provide good shelter, and a very important point - security. Hives do get stolen.

Stream - bees need some sort of dependable water supply. Dependable particularly in hot weather! And its boggy bits that they really like, rather than sparkling rushy splashing moving water!

All will become clearer as you read, take courses and participate in the forum.
Well, probably, eventually ... :)

Many thanks to you all for your warm welcone and the time taken to pass on tips and good advice...I understand there's so much more to this than meets the eye. I realise also that book alone wont crack it...im counting on you guys to keep me on on the right path as I go......in addition to the orchard,there is a fair expanse of wild flowers that hsve been planted on neighbouring property, so I hope this will help keep the bees well provided for...thanks again to you all.

Zac

Latest posts

Back