Hello-New to the forum why not post a "Hi" message for other users to welcome you.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Appinpiper,i'm near Porlock,thats just down the road from you as well.

AnotherNewBee

Hi All,

The name says it all. The real name is Derek.

When I was just a kid I used to help a neighbour take his hives up onto the North Yorkshire Moors in his ancient A35 van. That was a long time ago, and the van was ancient even then!

I'm now living in North Dorset and, after working abroad and too many other commitments, now able to finally sort my life out and settle down and turn my armchair beekeeping into the real thing.

I'm looking forward to starting on a course, with my local society, in April. Until then, I guess, it's reading books, browsing the interweb thingy, looking at catalogues and figuring out how to light a smoker without setting fire to myself. If anyone nearby is preparing equipment, or just checking on their hives on warm days, I'll be happy to get involved.

Regards

Derek

Hi all, just found this "say hello" thread. I've been keeping bees for about three years now (A.m.m. in nationals) in Tipperary, Ireland - which I think means I know just enough to realise how much I still have to learn about beekeeping... Anyway, I'm mostly into learning about bees and keeping them for the hobby's own sake (the honey's just a tasty extra, although I really need to filter it right & sell some this year to pay for some extra gear).

So "hello".

Hi All,
and figuring out how to light a smoker without setting fire to myself.

I guess that's one of the few threads that RAB won't be passing on much sage advice! :biggrinjester:

Welcome to the forum Derek - and scuttlefish

Hi all....new to the forum so thought Id introduce myself. Im from Plymouth and just joined the local BKA, looking forward to my first meet in February.

Looking to get set up this year after doing my Buckfast course last year, so will be asking the usual questions, but before I do, I'll give the search tool a bit of a thrashing first!

I'll also be looking for all the usual starting equipment, just need to decide on WBC or Nationals....que the search button!

Welcome Quigs :). It sounds as if you're going about it the right way getting some training in first, so here's to a good first season.

As regards the hives, WBC's are beautiful to behold but can be a right faff apart from that. I've got one for my garden, but my others are nationals (well, 14 x 12 actually).

Hi Quigs - I use National (poly & wood) and WBC - and Langstroth at the Buckfast Community Apiary...bees seem to like them all, but looking back I wish I had picked one...
girls seem to like the poly and WBC's to a similar level. WBCs ARE more work, but look good and overwinter really well too.

Langs at Buckfast are good - and I wish I had them, but not starting again...

Thanks chaps - I was only looking at the WBC's from an aethetic point of view as if I position them where Im thinking at the moment, they will be visible from the house. However if I decide to locate to another spot, I may consider the polys but need to do a bit of research on the general views of these.

I may put up yet another thread about siting hives but will attach some pics if I can do that. I wil also pester someone at the Plymouth club to come around and advise me on the location. So far Ive read quite an even balance of ' yea's and neigh's' for garden keeping, but Ive got about 0.8 acres with quite a large estuary foreshore so don't really see an issue

Hello from Hawaii!

I am a new beekeeper and am enjoying this forum very much.

I dont have a lot to contribute yet, as i just got my very first hive last week. I have taken a queen rearing course, and a beginning beekeeper course, and work with a mentor every week.

My hive is a Langstroth deep and I am going to add another box next week. The avocado trees are loaded and we have a flowering tree called a Mountain Apple ready to go off, the girls are a little crowded and I am all set to expand their digs.

We are struggling with SHM and varroa mites here, new for us in the last few years, small time beekeepers are working together to help our local honeybees.

We have some lovely native pollinators here as well.

Aloha!!!

A big Welcome to you, Nice to see new members from other parts of the globe, I hope you get to grips with varroa mites, the biggest help we have had hear is the open mesh floor, I don't know if you are using these already. :cheers2:

A big Welcome to you, Nice to see new members from other parts of the globe, I hope you get to grips with varroa mites, the biggest help we have had hear is the open mesh floor, I don't know if you are using these already. :cheers2:

Thanks REDWOOD! Yes, we use mesh floors and oil traps for the beetles. We removed some drone comb from a couple of hives in the beeyard, too. If it is VERY dry we can try the home made powdered sugar dusting.

Our state has recently hired a State Apiarist so I think the outlook is hopeful. But with no winter to discourage them, all the pests are very happy here.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Winter seem to be the worst time for varroa for us as the bees cluster in the center of the hive for many months to keep warm and the varroa just love this situation. There has been lots of harsh chemicals that beekeepers use to treat varroa but they never kill them off but lots of research has been done on growing plants that have a natural pesticide properties, which are mostly common herbs like thyme and wild flowers, also diversity of foraging plants has a big role to play in bee health

Latest posts

Back