Hello from Kirkintilloch- Scotland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreddieZ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

I have a wee question about one of my hives that I can not seem to control.

I got three new colonies at the same time from the same farmer. All Highland Black bees.
One hive is on my allotment with two colonies of Buckfast bees. All are doing great.
The other two I took home with me and they have a great spot in the garden, nothing to annoy them. Plenty of water and enough food around. (We face the canal)

One hive is so aggressive I am thinking of getting rid of it.
I have tried everything to try to settle it but it's getting a bit much- Dive bombing, following me back to the house. Hanging around the door for up to two hours after hive inspections. I was inspecting it weekly but have changed it to ten days as I thought that may have helped. Fed them. Changed the smoker. no smoke. lavender water. playing music. The list goes on.

Any suggestions?

Hello all,

I have a wee question about one of my hives that I can not seem to control.

I got three new colonies at the same time from the same farmer. All Highland Black bees.
One hive is on my allotment with two colonies of Buckfast bees. All are doing great.
The other two I took home with me and they have a great spot in the garden, nothing to annoy them. Plenty of water and enough food around. (We face the canal)

One hive is so aggressive I am thinking of getting rid of it.
I have tried everything to try to settle it but it's getting a bit much- Dive bombing, following me back to the house. Hanging around the door for up to two hours after hive inspections. I was inspecting it weekly but have changed it to ten days as I thought that may have helped. Fed them. Changed the smoker. no smoke. lavender water. playing music. The list goes on.

Any suggestions?
Requeen
You don’t need to get rid of it you need a gentle queen. Lots available.
Oh and welcome.

Requeen
You don’t need to get rid of it you need a gentle queen. Lots available.
Oh and welcome.

Hi Dani,
Thanks for the reply.

I have requeened before for Buckfast bees and it worked fine. BUT there is chat that an aggressive queen makes for aggressive bees and requeening a Highland hive doesn't always do the trick?

Hi Dani,
Thanks for the reply.

I have requeened before for Buckfast bees and it worked fine. BUT there is chat that an aggressive queen makes for aggressive bees and requeening a Highland hive doesn't always do the trick?

An aggressive queen does make for aggressive bees. That's why Dani is suggesting you replace the queen? You can replace it with any strain of queen, bought from a reputable provider. It is true that aggressive bees may be more likely to reject a new queen, but there's another thread currently running on how to get round that.

It will be a few weeks before the aggressive bees die off, of course, after you requeen.

Latest posts

Back