North of Scotland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ali.m.1

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all!

New beekeeper here from the Black Isle, in the Highlands of Scotland.

I have the 12 Frame Abelo polyhive, with one colony in it right now.

I have ordered a queen for the end of May, with the intention to split the colony into two, and use my other wooden national hive: to have two colonies.

Alasdair

Hi all!

New beekeeper here from the Black Isle, in the Highlands of Scotland.

I have the 12 Frame Abelo polyhive, with one colony in it right now.

I have ordered a queen for the end of May, with the intention to split the colony into two, and use my other wooden national hive: to have two colonies.

Alasdair
Well done and welcome. What is your main nectar flow?

Hi
Not too sure. Have lots of hardwood forests around, and live in a village so have flowers too.
Also have a field or two of oil seed rape within a mile or so, so hopefully they don't take too much of that (as I've heard you need to remove the honey soon after they store it).

Hi
Not too sure. Have lots of hardwood forests around, and live in a village so have flowers too.
Also have a field or two of oil seed rape within a mile or so, so hopefully they don't take too much of that (as I've heard you need to remove the honey soon after they store it).
They will get into the rape. Don't worry about it. There are plenty on here that have it close by. Basically you need to be prepared to remove it as the flowers on the rape field fade!

Last edited by a moderator:
They will get into the rape. Don't worry about it. There are plenty on here that have it close by. Basically you need to be prepared to remove it as the flowers on the rape field fade!
And if you don't it will set like concrete in the frames and at this stage your options are limited to ... giving it back to the bees !

Latest posts

Back