Heated uncapping knife

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dano41

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
I bought a heated uncapping knife on ebay it worked for about an hour and now it continually trips the trip switches in the house.Has anyone else had this problem?

I bought a heated uncapping knife on ebay it worked for about an hour and now it continually trips the trip switches in the house.Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm assuming it's a cheap chinese knockoff?

You know what they say - caveat emptor

Personally don’t use them but would suggest you start looking at the big suppliers and as a cheaper alternative some of the main European suppliers it’s also worth remembering the more expensive models should have a better more reliable thermostat.

It can happen with any supplier at any price...I bought one from Thornes a few years ago that was defective in the same way...quickly replaced with no quibbles, but maybe not an option for you...

Mbc checked Paynes and they don't seem to sell the heated knife anymore.Could anyboby who has found a reliable heated knife please tell me where they got it.Would most of the heated knives not be made in China anyway?

.Would most of the heated knives not be made in China anyway?
Most will be made there and some of the cheapo ones directly from China become very expensive ones, once in the UK....so price is not always the final guide.
But if you want something reliable and quick to uncap try the Abelo steam knife, costs quite a bit more at £350 though.

stol-do-odsklepiania-nakladkowy-z-nozem-parowym-wl-os-1000mm-768x768.jpg

I have a Thornes one

Came with a job lot of equipmet ,looks to be virtually unused.Seems to work well but
I don't have enough hives to justify keeping it,and prefer my Grans old kitchen knife for uncapping.
I would swap it for £25 worth of beeswax,or even money.
Basedc in London,but travel to Leeds and Manchester frequently.

Cheers found a 220 version of that one.The one that you had was it well tested by you?
Worked OK but was messy and was at best no quicker than Grandad's old breadknife dippen in hot water.
Used for about three seasons... but as the amount of frames needing uncapping with the growth of our number of colonies + moving over to the Cornish Black Native bee which out~perform the exotics in our northern maritime climate, and the fact that their cappings seem not to be so thick as the Mediterranean bees... have moved over to a hot air gun plus a tine for uncapping.

Have seen a nylon brush with a hot air combination machine... perhaps when we hit the 1000 colonies?

Chons da

Cheers found a 220 version of that one.The one that you had was it well tested by you?

It's done about 12 tonnes worth of frames uncapping , I find it the best uncapping device I've used so far.

Latest posts

Back