Heat losses of houses

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
We have discussed about poly hive's wall insulation. So we have talked about thing, which is in best condition.

What do we know about the whole hive..... I bet that almost nothing. What we know is believing.

I want to show the differencies about human house energy losses. Engineers have researched energy losses with big money. That they have found out?

Of course Finland has better insulation with 3 fold window glasses, but the view of thinking is one question

Small houses
....................................UK ...............Finland

Ventilation................ ? ............................35%
Walls........................35% ........................13%
Windows, doors...........25% ......................15%
Roof..........................30% ........................8 %
Floor......................... 10%....................... 7%
Air leaks.................... 8%.........................?
Warm water to sewage..?........................ .15%

Last edited:
uninsulated%20house.jpg

pientalonkulutus.png

Difficult to compare numbers, but it tells things, what we have not imagined before.

To repair on point does not solve much the whole energy loss.

But however, poly box has a big influence on the hives' heat economy.

Then you must make the roof insulation better that condensation does not start to happen.

What about huge ventilation? The more ventilation area, the more wind influence.

Even if you do not have mesh floor, wind sweeps the heat from hive.

I have not seen any research, which try to reviele out, what wind, wind shelter etc affects on the hives.

I saw wind affects on my hives, when they were in calm back yard and in windy front yard. When I started to heat hives with electrict, differencies in build up vanished.

Couple years ago I had about ten nucs. They all died during autumn and winter, and in windy placed nucs died first. On previous winter such nucs overwintered well, but winter was mild. I have a mile long field in front of my cottage.

I have over winterd 1-3 frames nucs in fire wood shelter. Its tempreture is same as outdoors, but winds do not affect much inside. Nucs do fine in shelter, but their spring build up is about zero.

In UK there is a programme of Passive house building that far exceeds anything in Scandinavia... even mostly timber built housed can qualify.
I know this because such British designed systems have been featured on the television series Grand Designs a number of times..... amazing the heat loss through the standard postal letter entrance into the average UK home!!!
Mine now sealed and an outdoor one installed!

New builds are supposed to qualify here in Cornwall to a very high standard..... even if not quite the Passive house levels.

Mytten da

Last edited:
In UK there is a programme of Passive house building that far exceeds anything in Scandinavia... even mostly timber built housed can qualify.
I know this because such British designed systems have been featured on the television series Grand Designs a number of times..... amazing the heat loss through the standard postal letter entrance into the average UK home!!!

Mytten da

We have ready some passive energy houses. But they are future.
Today we have huge monet problems when our 50 y old flats must be renewed. Cost are about 1000€/m2 or even more like in my flat, 1600 €/m2. It is modernisizing the flats too. And that is an expanding job. All people have not money to that.

There are too problems of energy saving and building mould problems. If you do not ventilate the house, moisture condensates somewhere, and mold will grow there. It is heath and astma issue to many.

Last edited:
Mine now sealed and an outdoor one installed!

New builds are supposed to qualify here in Cornwall to a very high standard..... even if not quite the Passive house levels.

Urm, the UK has very few houses built to the passive house, or Passivhaus spec. The vast majority of Passivhaus builds (tens of thousands) are in Germany and Scandinavia. We are very late to the party.

Our newbuild standards are terrible, and have recently been relaxed in a nonsensical move. I read somewhere that the UK has the worst performing housing stock in Northern Europe (in no small part because relatively few were destroyed in WWII).

Urm, the UK has very few houses built to the passive house, or Passivhaus spec. The vast majority of Passivhaus builds (tens of thousands) are in Germany and Scandinavia. We are very late to the party.

Our newbuild standards are terrible, and have recently been relaxed in a nonsensical move. I read somewhere that the UK has the worst performing housing stock in Northern Europe (in no small part because relatively few were destroyed in WWII).
I blame president Truman and the forced postwar trashing of the UK economy by the intense US ecomonic warfare. There wasnt the money in the UK to rebuild with anything good...take a look at those towns in the UK that were trashed by the Luftwaffe the rebuild was done on the very very cheap..In Liverpool emergency accommodation was still occupied in 1964 despite being bitterly complained about in the early in 1950's
Routledge 2002 US Economic Statecraft for Survival, 1933-1991: Of Sanctions, Embargoes and Economic warfare
. It partly explains why honeybees couldnt go back to their WBCs.
It also explains why we need Trident

Last edited:
Nail on the head there again derekm

Seems to me few but the very wealthy can afford to build to such high standards of thermallity!

Still the 3% surcharge on second homes will do little here in Cornwall for affordable homes, but may fund Trident!

Yeghes da

Geothermal energy pumps are very popular here now. Tubes can be in lake, in soil or in bed rock.

Still the 3% surcharge on second homes will do little here in Cornwall for affordable homes, but may fund Trident!

You say do little, but it is a significant step in the right direction. Adding thousands to the cost of buying a 2nd house is a very good thing. If I were in charge though, I'd also want to add an ongoing cost. Something like an additional 25% council tax per extra home. ie 125% for 2nd home, 150% for third home etc. With the surcharge payable by the owner, not any tenant.

You say do little, but it is a significant step in the right direction. Adding thousands to the cost of buying a 2nd house is a very good thing. If I were in charge though, I'd also want to add an ongoing cost. Something like an additional 25% council tax per extra home. ie 125% for 2nd home, 150% for third home etc. With the surcharge payable by the owner, not any tenant.

On the Surrey Sussex borders I saw the quaint Farm Cottages lose their farmworker tenants to be replaced by Porsche owning Weekenders!

local services, shops even schools closed.

Salcombe in Devon is a ghost town weekdays at this time of year... repeated over in every quaint coastal village with second home owners away.

Meanwhile stocks of affordable homes have vanished and even in the
Greatgreygreengreasytamarrivervalleyallsetaboutwithsocialhousing.....
young working families are struggling to find any reasonable accomodation.... may need to change it to allsetaboutwithluxurysecondhomes soon

2 bed bungalow in my village no parking or much of garden... been given quick flash over with plastic windows, cheap kitchen and new carpets.. going for a tad under £300,000

Tracter driver farmworkers are mostly on minimum wage around here!

depressing is it not?

Yeghes da

On the Surrey Sussex borders I saw the quaint Farm Cottages lose their farmworker tenants to be replaced by Porsche owning Weekenders!

local services, shops even schools closed.

Salcombe in Devon is a ghost town weekdays at this time of year... repeated over in every quaint coastal village with second home owners away.

Tracter driver farmworkers are mostly on minimum wage around here!

depressing is it not?

Yeghes da

I blame the English I do :D - maybe you should take a leaf out of Meibion Glyndwr's book. Owning a second home seems less attractive when there's a chance of coming home to a real fire :D

the thing they are certainly the worst at in the UK is maths. they loose 108% of their heat losses through bad insulation... probably they get even with ventilation :)

Latest posts

Back