Heart disease and beekeeping.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentWasp

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, Is there anyone out there with medical knowledge/experience that can reassure me?
I'm a 74 year old man recently enthused to start out on bee keeping, but I would like to be assured that I am not at a high health risk from bee stings before I invest too much money in the project.
I have a damaged heart caused by Atrial fibrillation and am fitted with a pacemaker.

Thank you in anticipation.

Welcome to the forum KentWasp :)

Not the best name to choose for a beekeeping forum, if you don't mind my saying :eek:

My OH has AF and the beekeeping (albeit part-time as he works abroad) doesn't affect it at all.

He doesn't have a pacemaker though, so I can't reassure you in that department.

I'm sure some opinions from medical people will appear shortly.

Good luck.

I don’t have an answer for you with your heart condition, but I really hope that you can take it up in some way, it is an interesting hobby....

Last edited:
I suppose the only way to find out is to be stung. Reactions can vary considerably, some are minor irritation while others can involve large areas of swelling and/or throbbing discomfort and these are normal reactions and would probably be the same for you as the next person.
Systemic reaction may be a concern.

Hats off to you for embarking on a fascinating hobby at 74 years young!! I suggest contacting your local association where you can enroll for a beginners class which will involve some hands on practical lessons.
I hope everything works out fine for you.

I strongly suggest your speak to your doctor and also try and get a test for any sensitivity to bee stings. You will find about the latter once you start keeping bees but probably best in your case to find out before then.

If you get the OK I suggest you make contact with your local beekeeping association and arrange to go and meet some bees - in the sense of getting the opportunity to see what is in a hive and to handle the bees. This will give you a better idea what to expect and of course you will make contacts locally which are likely to be invaluable - in the early days especially.

At your age you would be one of the younger members of my Beekeeping Association :sifone:

DICLOFENAC SODIUM...has been associated with an increased severe reaction to bee stings.

My own GP is brilliant, but did not know about Diclofenac and bee stings, until I brought it up with him.. I had an unusual reaction to a sting and had to visit him... the problem was raised with Diclofenac on this Forum.

Possibly proceed with some caution?

Hi, Is there anyone out there with medical knowledge/experience that can reassure me?
I'm a 74 year old man recently enthused to start out on bee keeping, but I would like to be assured that I am not at a high health risk from bee stings before I invest too much money in the project.
I have a damaged heart caused by Atrial fibrillation and am fitted with a pacemaker.

Thank you in anticipation.

check that any drugs you are on do not make you more sensitive to bee stings, perindopril i know to my cost does react to bee venom....

two obvious potential (and related) problems immediately spring to mind:

1. problems if you are seriously allergic to stings. you already have a (paced) arrythmia; anaphylaxis may induce another (potentially fatal) one.

2. possible problems if feel the need to take antihistamines (OTC or POM) for routine stings. may possibly interact with any meds you're on OR again may induce arrythmias themselves.

so....

As per previous posts you need to discuss with your GP/cardiologist.

BUT bear in mind there must be hundreds of ageing beeks (look at many local association memberships) with AF and/or pacemakers.

Good advice from rooftops get the sensitivity test done in controlled conditions before you start bees.I have atrial fibrillation and dilated cardiomyopathy and take a lot of drugs.I have kept bees for twenty years and before this happened had virtually no reaction to bees stings.First year on the drugs looked like a Michelin man with the slightest sting but almost back to the previous sensitivity level now.At 74 go for it, you won't find a more satisfying hobby, with a limitless learning curve.

For what it's worth, one of the officers in my branch is older than you by a good few years , he is into his second pace maker having worn the first one out ! He is on warfarin and god knows what else . He is into queen rearing and is a tireless member of said branch , he is a motivator and appears to have boundless energy :) .
He gets stung from time to time (don't we all?) .
I am down stream of a heart attack (occurred when I was inspecting colonies) I am on a host of medications , one of which (don't know which)seems to have headed off my strong local reactions to bee stings :D..
Essentially, the advice to get the blood test done , before hand and if result is thumbs up then enjoy beekeeping is sound advice . :)
VM Ps I am the same age as yourself and considered to be a babe in arms :D

Kent wasp,

I have angina, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy ( diseased heart muscle) with irregular heart beat. Love my bees. As a medical man I was not concerned about keeping bees with my bad ticker.

Dr S is being cautious but I agree to check it out with your own GP first.

I would suggest that if you get the go ahead from him/her then you join your local association, which is likely to be running a beginners course any time soon. You will undoubtedly go on to handle their bees, and that way will see if it really is for you, before you have laid out money for equipment.

Have fun. I hope you enjoy. My bee buddy was 78 when he took up bees with me. He loves them.

Dr Ex

health problem

hello Kentwasp,

I'm just up the road from you if you !! if you decided to take up beekeeping PM me and I could put you in touch a great friendly club in north kent ..

Hi KW and welcome! I'd venture that your beekeeping will bring with it infinite rewards and I hope that your GP will give you the go-ahead. We should be mindful that our hobby also brings quite a degree of manual labour, especially around the time of the honey harvest, when we routinely have to transport brimming supers :rolleyes: of honey for extraction. These weigh in at 50 lbs or more. I find that a beekeeping assistant is very useful at these times!

To whet your appetite, there is a wealth of reading material around. See around this very forum for some good suggestions.

Good luck to you.

Hi KW and welcome! I'd venture that your beekeeping will bring with it infinite rewards and I hope that your GP will give you the go-ahead. We should be mindful that our hobby also brings quite a degree of manual labour, especially around the time of the honey harvest, when we routinely have to transport brimming supers :rolleyes: of honey for extraction. These weigh in at 50 lbs or more. I find that a beekeeping assistant is very useful at these times!

To whet your appetite, there is a wealth of reading material around. See around this very forum for some good suggestions.

Good luck to you.
Do as I do. recruit the wife :D.
She's not into beekeeping , accepts no responsibility beyond 'Tow that Barge, lift that bale'but knows far more than she lets on about bees;).
If I neglect something or miss something when inspecting a colony ,she's in like Flynn putting me straight :rofl:
VM

"I would suggest that if you get the go ahead from him/her then you join your local association, which is likely to be running a beginners course any time soon."

presuming that your local isn't wisborough green, who, by the sounds of it and judging the strict formality they insist on, probably have a dedicated medical fitness commitee (ie RP) to vet suitability of all potential newbies (and probably also insist on annual reviews!!!).

Hi
I am very allergic to wasps but not to bees. Your best bet is to try and get a controlled sting from a bee to see if you are okay with it. The other issue is the medication that you are on, ask your doctor about this. Are you fit enough for the lifting? Do you have someone to share the task if it is too much for you.
I took up beekeeping three years ago and had a heart attack last April, now on lots of medication but continuing with my obsession with bees because it is very rewarding and relaxing.
Best
Louise

I would suggest doing the "controlled sting" outside your local A&E department - and warn them first so they have the crash team stood by.

Do not listen to medical advice given on this Forum!

We should be mindful that our hobby also brings quite a degree of manual labour, especially around the time of the honey harvest, when we routinely have to transport brimming supers :rolleyes: of honey for extraction. These weigh in at 50 lbs or more. I find that a beekeeping assistant is very useful at these times!

Good luck to you.

I bit high I would have thought, more like 30-35 lb for a national super inc. honey; but the general point is good, and worth bearing in mind when you decide what type of hive to get. If lifting is an issue, some people like half supers, so you're only lifting 15 lb or so.

Getting in with your local association is a good way of checking practical points like this- once you have the all-clear from your doc re your meds, and checked for sensitivity to stings, get down there and get some propolis on yer gloves!. For the busier associations, this would be a good time to be booking on a spring course.

To me the worst in beekeeping is hot days like last summer. Almost every day temp was 25-30C during 6 weeks. My low blood pressure rised to 115. It is dangerous level.

In a shadow heat is 30 and in the sun perhaps 40C. When you go to handle then in evening , you get extra sting.

If you have couple of hives, you may schoose a proper time to handle hives.

Latest posts

Back