Has anyone used this?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes with winter oxalic use the idea to remove any small amount of brood was to prevent any hiding places. In particular with the trickle as multiple use is harmful to the bees. This idea did not come from the Sussex lot it’s simply rehashed.
Tony is talking about trickling then??
Because vaping with brood as I can see does no harm.??
3/4 times @ 5 day intervals.
Generally once in winter unless mite drop is high.

This products claims are illegal under the terms of the VMD and should not be used in the UK, to claim to treat varroa a treatment has to go through at least 2 years of studies and approvals the cost to the manufacturer is estimated by maqs manufactures is around 200K hence the reason the UK will be losing more products over the next few years such as Apiguard in 3kg tubs, CertanB401 and I am sure others have gone the same way , the market in the UK is just not big enough to warrant the costs.
You're travelling deep into sun don't shine territory now. We've had this done to death. Another candidate for the ignore list methinks.

I am neither old or crusty guys:giggle: just have a few hives and not outlaying money on unnecessary equipment when a syringe and liquid will suffice, I've always done a trickle mid winter. I warm my liquid and my hubby and I have it down to a fine art. Open trickle, job done in under 1 minute. And of course I also treat my bees in autumn (as I mentioned in my original post,) but due to a beekeeper (a loose term)who lives about 400meters from me and does not treat his bees ever I feel it necessary to treat in winter as well as autumn.
Last year I treated in autumn, had low and acceptable varroa loads all through summer and was happy with their health when I closed up for winter. I lost all my hives to varroa, I only realized when I opened them up to trickle! It was utterly heart breaking and very frustrating, with this non treatment beekeeper being the only cause I could come up with to my loss.

Now the thought of an OA vape done in mission impossible style stealth please imagine the music... in the dead of night to my neighbours bees is tempting for me to get the kit. How noisy are they? ;)

I am neither old or crusty guys:giggle: just have a few hives and not outlaying money on unnecessary equipment when a syringe and liquid will suffice, I've always done a trickle mid winter. I warm my liquid and my hubby and I have it down to a fine art. Open trickle, job done in under 1 minute. And of course I also treat my bees in autumn (as I mentioned in my original post,) but due to a beekeeper (a loose term)who lives about 400meters from me and does not treat his bees ever I feel it necessary to treat in winter as well as autumn.
Last year I treated in autumn, had low and acceptable varroa loads all through summer and was happy with their health when I closed up for winter. I lost all my hives to varroa, I only realized when I opened them up to trickle! It was utterly heart breaking and very frustrating, with this non treatment beekeeper being the only cause I could come up with to my loss.

Now the thought of an OA vape done in mission impossible style stealth please imagine the music... in the dead of night to my neighbours bees is tempting for me to get the kit. How noisy are they? ;)
Only noise is when you drop the car battery on your foot.....

Now the thought of an OA vape done in mission impossible style stealth please imagine the music... in the dead of night to my neighbours bees is tempting for me to get the kit. How noisy are they?
I have to cope with this every year. The answer is to do an accelerated drop to measure varroa a month after you finish your own treatment and treat accordingly

This products claims are illegal under the terms of the VMD and should not be used in the UK, to claim to treat varroa a treatment has to go through at least 2 years of studies and approvals the cost to the manufacturer is estimated by maqs manufactures is around 200K hence the reason the UK will be losing more products over the next few years such as Apiguard in 3kg tubs, CertanB401 and I am sure others have gone the same way , the market in the UK is just not big enough to warrant the costs.
Try buying Certan B401 in the UK these days ... there's only one supplier I can find that claims to have stock and they are charging about twice what it used to be for a bottle. Most people have moved to other Bacillus thuringiensis products which do the same job ....

I didn’t think we had any treatments that are legal to sell and use in the UK specifically licensed for use in a beehive ??

I didn’t think we had any treatments that are legal to sell and use in the UK specifically licensed for use in a beehive ??
We've been round this particular maze quite recently ...as Bacillus thuringiensis is used on frames that are stored and not in an occupied hive there is a case for suggesting that it is not a treatment for bees but a preventative for wax moth. There are, obviously, diverging views about this and there is much ambiguity in the VMD which does not specify whether such treatment, in the case of bees, is covered by the 'Medicines' directions.

I lost all my hives to varroa, I only realized when I opened them up to trickle! It was utterly heart breaking and very frustrating, with this non treatment beekeeper being the only cause I could come up with to my loss.
Did the non-treating beekeeper lose all his colonies as well?

Hi all,
Has anyone used this before? I use apiguard for autumn treatment , 2nd trays in as I type. But I'm wondering about mid winter treatment. I only have 2 hives atm and don't want to go the expense of OX vape kit. I usually do a trickle but hate having to measure and mix. I'm looking for a pre made solution I could treat with. Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks
OA vape kit is not expensive. You can get a vaporiser pan on eBay for about £24 and depending on number of hives (I only have 3), a small 12v battery to run it. I wouldn’t want to open up the brood nest in winter to trickle.

We've been round this particular maze quite recently ...as Bacillus thuringiensis is used on frames that are stored and not in an occupied hive there is a case for suggesting that it is not a treatment for bees but a preventative for wax moth. There are, obviously, diverging views about this and there is much ambiguity in the VMD which does not specify whether such treatment, in the case of bees, is covered by the 'Medicines' directions.
I am becoming a bit of a coward and don’t think I am going to get dragged into that one ;)

Have used a cheap pan vapouriser for years with a car battery. Last vape time I realised that I'd fitted it into the car (!). Tried 18V deWalt drill battery. Very light. It worked and did not get warm. Used several times since and both drill and vapouriser are happy.

Yes Patrick...and the post Brexit loss of CASCADE will make things even worse. We are going to really struggle for treatments at viable rates. Actually we already are.

Was at a bee health meeting with Scottish gov people present.....it was said we will no longer have access to Cascade. However...everything changes..and not everything we have been told has come to pass. May still be available. Have not had to use it for some time.

Last time was to source in Biowar.

Did not realise it until I fell foul of the system some years ago that a lot of these rules are actually part of the Finance Act, not actually medicines laws at all.
VMD etc funded by the fees charged...pay the fee, get a licence, and any identical (and perfectly good) products from other makers become illegal and enforceable against overnight. Charge whatever you like.

Last edited:
I only have 2 hives atm and don't want to go the expense of OX vape kit.
Why spend over £25 on something that's likely snake oil, and with no information or proof of efficacy, when you can spend the same amount on a pan vaporiser from Ebay? The gear to vape your bees (vaporiser, battery and PPE) doesn't cost a fortune and will last you for many many years to come. Other than buying the OA itself you won't need to spend any more money and will have the ability to treat whenever you want and in a way that's known to be effective.

;)Edit: Sorry Moobees, just repeated what you'd already said

As an aside Mobus used to mention that Rennie I think it was opened colonies right through the Winter to check brooding so the brood was inspected in cold temperatures. Seemingly no colonies were lost to the inspection regime. Just saying.

PH

As I said just checking out and researching different methods. That's the whole point in the post inquiring if anyone had heard of it. That does not mean I intend to use it.

The VMD have an easy to reference list of licenced products that can be used on bees.

Latest posts

Back