Happy Happy Happy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clare p

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
1 new Nuc and a swarm caught on the 10th July
My Gals have finally decided to touch the sky!
What a treat when I came home from the school run to find my back garden full of happy buzzing, they all look very purposeful
Joy Joy Joy

Clare

Nice one Clare! 12 degs forecast in Worcestershire tomorrow and Saturday.:party:

Another 4 hives in East Sussex with loads of bees flying......:hurray:

3 out of my 4 hives flying :party:
it's such a joy to see them flying with the sun light reflecting on them.
some of them where collecting water droplets off the grass.bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

wow i'm all excited for you all i think it could be an early spring ahead fingers crossed .:party:

I'm flying. Bilboa to Brussles, Brussels to Leeds, does that count? No idea what the girls are up to though!

Steady the buffs - the month of February has a very nasty habit of biting the nether region.

My earliest "First warm enough day quick look through all colonies" record is 12th MARCH.

Patience peoplebee-smillie

Whoa.... One sunny day doesn't make a Spring- have you seen what is happening in America- cars under snow again- and we often get it 2 weeks later.
Keep feeding, not looking...

Eastern Canada to here is roughly 6 days.

It is still mid winter. Watch the feed.

PH

Steady the buffs - the month of February has a very nasty habit of biting the nether region.

My earliest "First warm enough day quick look through all colonies" record is 12th MARCH.

Patience peoplebee-smillie

Agreed. February is often the worst month of the year.

At the mo mine have large chunks of fondant,but if they run out of this do i.
add more fondant or add Sugar syrup ?
And i think I'm right that pollen patty end of month y/n ???

I join you in your hapiness, Clare, it's always a relief to see they've come through the worst of the UK winter.

Richard

It feels as though spring will come suddenly when it does. Too early to do anything, but a good stimulus to have everything ready for spring.

At the mo mine have large chunks of fondant,but if they run out of this do i.
add more fondant or add Sugar syrup ?
And i think I'm right that pollen patty end of month y/n ???

Geography might have a part to play here given I bet I'm a good 300 miles nearer the north pole than you!

I would stick to fondant until late march, we can still get cold snaps up until April. The syrup and the fondant will be the same temperature yes, but, at least the feeding face of the fondant is directly on a QE rather than a 6-8cm crawl away from the winter ball.
With regard pollen patties I have put them on mid-march-ish following with the first syrup a week later. R

It feels as though spring will come suddenly when it does. Too early to do anything, but a good stimulus to have everything ready for spring.

Look at the long range forecast... Supposedly more freezing weather is on the way in about 10 days.

We are just heading into the time of winter, when some days reach cluster-breaking temperature, that colonies are most likely to starve.

Ben P

Latest posts

Back