Happy days.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terry jones

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
After having lost one of my hives over the winter and the remaing hive not building (2013 queen but not laying) :thanks:I have managed to attract a swarm.
The swarm is located in a nuc on the side of the house approx 50 yards from my hive.
Q. how long before i can unite with my present hive
I was assuming 2/3 days and block the entrance for 24hrs.

I would do it the other way round! I would house the swarm and ensure they are staying there, then kill the queen in the old hive and put that on top. Maybe a week between housing the swarm and uniting in case they abscond with all your bees!

Thanks for the advice enrico. I got a little excited about having some more bees before thinking it through.

Terry

I would do it the other way round! I would house the swarm and ensure they are staying there, then kill the queen in the old hive and put that on top. Maybe a week between housing the swarm and uniting in case they abscond with all your bees!

:iagree: make sure your swarm is health ybefore doing anything - and confirm you have a laying queen in there

Do not forget to feed the swarm 1:1.... sing to them sweetly every time you go near them and they will stay!!

Latest posts

Back