Greek Honey Project

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
History is fascinating, especially Minoan civilization is particularly notable for systematic apiculture, and beekeeping was considered a high-status and highly valued industry. I lived in Crete for several years and I really miss these times. Today aside from varoa and climate change there is also another big problem at least here in Greece. It is the lack of education and professionalism around beekeeping resulting in poor results considering the high potential.

It is the lack of education and professionalism around beekeeping resulting in poor results considering the high potential.
That statement is might also apply to the UK. Were I to suggest that we are bunch of amateurs here, then I would be merely reflecting the statistsics. We have the lowest number of colonies per beekeeper in Europe. I attach:
  • Detailed analyis, a paper from 2013
  • Last EU analysis to include the UK

Attachments

• market-presentation-honey_spring2020_en.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • Chauzat 2013 Demographics of the European Apicultural Industry.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 13
Very interesting analysis. We have the highest number of colonies per beekeeper in Europe but one of the lowest production yields per hive.

Latest posts

Back