Greek Honey Project

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny greek

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi, I am a beekeeper from Greece and interested in selling some of my honey in the UK market. My business plan is to make my product available online through a website and maybe to some local stores through a sales agent. Honey would be only premium quality organic mostly blossom and maybe some pine as well. Quantity would be quite limited. If you have any suggestions or comments about I would be grateful to hear them as your experience in the local market is of the greatest value for my project.

Set up your website and advertise it on Facebook?
Hobby beekeepers tend to sell at local shops by approaching their retail outlets in person.
You could always try a health food chain like Holland and Barrett but then you might not get the price you want.
Then there is the red tape after Brexit. It may not be easy

Yes, facebook is one of the main advertisement channels. I am also thinking of participating in contests like Great Taste Awards or London Honey Awards. Regarding big chains, the quantity required is out of my reach.

I’m intrigued, why not just sell to your local market? Is there that much of a premium by supplying the UK to justify the hassle?

That is a very reasonable question, let me try to answer it. Of course, the UK market is huge relative to Greek, and considering that my orientation is about marketing a premium quality product, I believe that there are much more room and better conditions for my business to grow in the future than it would be in the local market. I have been already selling locally for the past years but would like to take it a step further and hopefully establish a sustainable business by adding one more sales channel in a high-demand market. There is also a little bit of infrastructure already in place as I am VAT registered and collaborate with some fulfillment centers in the UK, so I could take advantage of it. I hope my thoughts make sense and would be happy to hear your opinion.

The Benelux countries would almost certainly be open to a premium product - various niche markets do well already. Plus point > no export/import licences/duties as such.
Have you considered/looked at the UK Co-op as potential outlet - their often amenable to smaller producers.

Thank you, that's a very good point about the Benelux countries, totally agree but find it a little difficult to start there because of language barriers. About UK Co-op I am not aware about it. Do you mean www.coop.co.uk ?

Thank you, that's a very good point about the Benelux countries, totally agree but find it a little difficult to start there because of language barriers. About UK Co-op I am not aware about it. Do you mean www.coop.co.uk ?
Start with Nederland - english is the language of business plus most dutch speak excellent english.
The co-op - yes have a look here and go from there.

That is a very reasonable question, let me try to answer it. Of course, the UK market is huge relative to Greek, and considering that my orientation is about marketing a premium quality product, I believe that there are much more room and better conditions for my business to grow in the future than it would be in the local market. I have been already selling locally for the past years but would like to take it a step further and hopefully establish a sustainable business by adding one more sales channel in a high-demand market. There is also a little bit of infrastructure already in place as I am VAT registered and collaborate with some fulfillment centers in the UK, so I could take advantage of it. I hope my thoughts make sense and would be happy to hear your opinion.
I fear you may find that it may not be worth your while importing honey into the UK unless you are doing it in significant volume. From 1st July 2022 the barriers will be formidable, including possible veterinary certification and Border Control Post checks. See the attached. JBM, who is one of the regular posters to this site, may be able to provide some more professional insight. These new regulations result from Brexit.

However please do stay with us in the forum. That you have 90 hives, have studied chemistry, understand quality assurance and work in the food industry, all means that we can learn a great deal from you and your experience

Attachments

• Honey Import regs 2021.pdf
    207.9 KB · Views: 12
These new regulations are definitely a big obstacle as costs add up and should be carefully considered during product costing analysis. JBMs comment on this would be highly appreciated.
As for the forum and having dived into several threads, I am excited to have found such an active and supportive community. I hope my knowledge and personal experience could bring back some value.

JBM, who is one of the regular posters to this site, may be able to provide some more professional insight.
JBMs comment on this would be highly appreciated.
Unfortunately any insight I could have would be way out of date, my work with imports/exports stopped in the early 1990's the only imports I dealt with then were controlled drugs and smuggled tobacco for most of my career, and for the last eight years I've been Immigration Enforcement.

Unfortunately any insight I could have would be way out of date, my work with imports/exports stopped in the early 1990's the only imports I dealt with then were controlled drugs and smuggled tobacco for most of my career, and for the last eight years I've been Immigration Enforcement.
I trust you search all illegal immigrants to check whether they are trying to import any honey...

I trust you search all illegal immigrants to check whether they are trying to import any honey...
Much of our work centres around refugees nowadays - not illegals, although I no longer man the front lines, I work in 'operational capabilities' (where do they dream up these names!!) looking after the national radio communication assets as well as the mobile fingerprint scanners, also dipping into the national vehicle fleet affairs occasionally.

Much of our work centres around refugees nowadays - not illegals, although I no longer man the front lines, I work in 'operational capabilities' (where do they dream up these names!!) looking after the national radio communication assets as well as the mobile fingerprint scanners, also dipping into the national vehicle fleet affairs occasionally.
Are you aware of this bunch: Bees and Refugees

Whilst "...supporting refugees interested in beekeeping " may be a worthwhile aim, I am less convinced about "increasing the bee population in Hammersmith and Fulham, "

It's about the huge pine forest fires we had last summer. A huge catastrophe for pine honey, that happens to be the main Greek honey production. The reduction is more than 70% and not only for this season but for many years until the pine forest recovers.

Just back from a trip to Crete @johnny greek, looking at Minoan sites dating back to our Bronze Age . Met a couple of beekeepers who farmed for Thyme and pine honey -Delicious!
Saw evidence of a few beekeepers abandoning their equipment.
Such interesting history - saw an old clay smoker in a museum dating from 1500BC Plus the amazing gold bee pendant in Heraklion museum dating from1700BC. 2 bees legs together exchanging a nectar drop and legs holding a pollen basket. Fabulous craftsmanship from nearly 4000 years ago
Interesting to learn about the use of clay hives in more recent times. Biggest threat today, aside from varroa, is wasps and global warming, making the average crop c 10-15kg honey per colony per year.
I love Greece, such a wonderful, warm country

Attachments

• B07201FD-338C-4AE5-951F-A8627EE53A7E.jpeg
    B07201FD-338C-4AE5-951F-A8627EE53A7E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 223E919C-1ED5-4CF1-946A-4A021BD64BE3.jpeg
    223E919C-1ED5-4CF1-946A-4A021BD64BE3.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 74E1D4E2-C6CF-43BE-BA76-BD2E55F543AE.jpeg
    74E1D4E2-C6CF-43BE-BA76-BD2E55F543AE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 98555291-7116-49D9-BE69-BA070288C64A.jpeg